Author Topic: Cherry Bow  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Cherry Bow
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:17:30 am »
What would be the best design for cherry? I plan on backing it with rawhide. This is the first non 'sage bow I have built. The grain on the back, after chasing a ring, doesn't look very dense. It's a nice ring but loose grained. I was thinking 1 3/4" wide at fades, up to midlimb then taper to 1/2" nocks with flat belly. Thanks for any input.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cherry Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:32:48 am »
Your design should work fine. Take it slow. Cherry can't take the stresses that osage can! Rawhide backing is a good idea, also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTProf

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:53:52 am »
I built a cherry board bow of just the design you mentioned. 68" ntn. 1 3/4" to mid limb, then taper to 1/2" nocks. 2 layers of linen backing (just to be safe). It is my best shooting bow so far. Only takes 1/2" set when immediately unstrung, and then relaxes to straigtlimbs with no set.

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:27:16 am »
Thanks guys.
This bow will be 66" N2N. I have it at floor tiller now. Should I back it now or get it closer to weight. I'm shooting for 40-45 lbs on this one as it will be my target bow. Hopefully. :-\
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:47:44 pm »
I would back it now. If you use a water based glue like TBIII, put down a thin coat of it first and let it dry. Then add the backing. The first coat will cure out without adding much moisture to the wood and will seal the back to prevent moisture from glueing the backing from entering the wood..     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 04:47:18 pm »
Thanks Pat. Will do.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 11:01:01 pm »
I would back it now. If you use a water based glue like TBIII, put down a thin coat of it first and let it dry. Then add the backing. The first coat will cure out without adding much moisture to the wood and will seal the back to prevent moisture from glueing the backing from entering the wood..     Pat
Hmm not sure if its true but I heard TB3 wont stick to itself after its cured ??? I must have heard wrong.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 11:16:33 pm »
Jesse, I have used this technique before with no problems. I hope you aren't right. ;)

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 12:35:42 am »
That's the way I do snake skins.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 12:57:07 am »
Must be some other glue I heard that about.  ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 07:08:48 am »
 ??? Sounds like a good idea,let us know how that works,I always just put mine in the hot box for a few days after rawhide but would like to know a quicker way and that sounds like a way to do that.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 02:54:07 pm »
Pappy, shellac also works to seal the bow first.

Offline mitchman

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 11:13:51 pm »
i honestly think chery is a fairly good wood to use i have built three bows from it. all very strong and stable. one of them i tortured and it took so much stress and such until it finally broke.   i use mainly sapwood with a little heartwood.   seems to work great. just finished a new turkey bow.  ;D ;D good luck