Author Topic: floor tillering?????  (Read 3448 times)

bearbowman

floor tillering?????
« on: December 23, 2008, 12:25:21 pm »
do you floor tiller? if you do, what is the purpose?

i would have roughed my bow out and put on the tillering tree and see what i had.

i haven't started a bow yet but i want to ask as many questions as possible before i start.

any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: floor tillering?????
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 12:34:21 pm »
I do floor tiller to be sure each limb is bending evenly(as much as I can tell at 4") and that both limbs are bending somewhat the same. By doing so early you don't stress the limbs. I have a tendency to over pull on the tree in the early stages of tillering so this helps me decide if it is time for the tree. Plus, this can be done in a matter of seconds as I am removing the bulk of unneeded wood.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 06:00:19 pm »
Yes, I do. I feel it gives me better control in starting to teach the wood to bend. It's also quicker than long string tillering. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 06:12:34 pm »
Impatience. ;D

And also because of all the reasons already mentioned.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 06:53:19 pm »
i do it that way cause thats how i was taught to do it.
and i am not going to argue with all the master bowyers here ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 07:55:37 pm »
You floor tiller to get an even bend and to get the bow closer to weight when you put it on a tillering tree. When I started I didn't floor tiller.  It is really difficult to floor tiller if you don't have an idea what a #60 bow feels like. When I did start floor tillering I remember thinking it was super heavy and would take #200 just to get it to bend. I put a long string on it and to my amazement it only took #60 to get it to bend. It would be real easy to floor tiller to #40 if you are waiting for the limbs to start bending without a lot of effort. After I had a completed bow I would use it for a reference to compare the new bows too when floor tillering.  I would bend the #60 finished bow then bend the new bow.  After a while you get used to the feel and can do it without comparing.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline RT

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:16:05 pm »
Also if you are not a season bow building.............applying too much pressure on floor tillering will cause the belly wood to crystaLISE.

I have so far crystalise 3 bows during floor tillering. Not too sure what cause that , but it did happened.....RT
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

Johnny95

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 05:58:44 pm »
floor tillering can also just be to test wheather or not the bow can take the pressure or to flex it alittle.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 11:28:10 pm »
RT, Perhaps the wood was a little wet, that can chrysal the toughest woods..Trust me ;)  Floor tillering gives you the hands on feel of the wood/stave from the start. You can quickly look down both limbs and see if they are bending the same or what adjustments need to be made.

As your skills develop you can tiller farther along this way if you wish, and while I have a nice tiller set-up I only use it for an occasional check or for the 73"+ 80+#  bows since anything shorter I can usually get shooting by floor tillering past stringing distance  and by looking down the limbs of the strung bow while pushing out the string with the other hand.

Rich