Author Topic: pics for blacktail... :)  (Read 3985 times)

Offline billy

pics for blacktail... :)
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:32:56 pm »
HEy John,

Here are some pics of my flintknapping tools.   Top one is hammerstones, next one down are antler billets (mostly whitetail, but one mule deer and one moose, and an osage billet on the left).  The next two below that are antler pressure flakers (only a few with modern metal tips).  The last one is my notching tools, made from split deer ulna (lower leg) bone.  One is a large antler tine that's been sawed in half and sanded down till it was flat. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:44:43 am by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline redwasp

Re: pics for blacktail... :)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:56:08 pm »
Wow what an array of tools. I bet it took awhile to get all those. Even longer to learn to use them :o
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:34:08 pm »
Billy, what are the split bone tools used for? great tool kit by the way.. Hawk..a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:43:56 am »
Hey Hawk,

If you look at the one split bone that's on its edge, you'll notice that the end is sanded down at a bit of an angle.   I use the leading edge of those ulna bones for notching my points or putting deep serrations on the edges.  They work best on small, thin arrowpoints, and since that's what I make the most of, the ulna bones work well.  They can't be used for notching larger points because so much pressure must be used that the ends tend to splinter, ruining the tool.  But even when notching small arrowpoints, sometimes I crush the edge inside the notch, making any more flake removals impossible.  In that case I'll fudge and use my horseshoe nail tool to re-establish my edge, then go back to the ulna bone.       
Marietta, Georgia

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:04:59 am »
very cool .. thanks brother.. would you mind if I copied your idea and made one for myself?
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:25:27 am »
Nice bunch of tools. Also, I really enjoyed the article that you wrote in the recent issue. Very practical and useful, thanks.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:42:54 am »
HEy Hawk,

No problem at all....copy away!! 

And thanks Tracy for the kind words on the article.  I've gone to Barnes and Noble about 4 times so far but they haven't put the new issue out on the newsstands yet.  I'm curious to see how the article turned out. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:49:52 pm »
sorry billy,i was in southern oregon for the weekend...holy cow,does any of the deer in Georgia have horns or do you have them all.LOL...i have to say that is one heck of a tool kit...so,if i may ask and i will.hehe..do you use all those hammer stones....and are they differant grades or hardness...thanks for sharing your herd of horn....i will have to take some more time to check it out some more.john

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 09:15:47 pm »
HEy blacktail,

I usually don't use all my hammerstones all the time.  I tend to have a few that I use the most.  Some are just too hard for most practical jobs unless I'm breaking up some nodules and really need a lot of blasting power.  Since most of my work consists of making small arrow points, I don't use the hammerstones all that much.  Some are excellent for grinding though, and I'll use those quite a bit. 

I'm always on the lookout for antler tines or small and medium-sized antler billets....those I use the most.  small points don't like to get hit with huge billets, they tend to break!  So I'll use the small billets and I actually percussion flake my arrowpoints with small billets to get them thinner.  My larger work (like big spearpoints and ceremonial blades) usually ends up quite crude, just because I never do much of it.  I have always loved the little exquisite and finely-made arrowpoints over the larger stuff.  You can just call me "Bird point Billy".  :)
Marietta, Georgia