Author Topic: another survival arrow question.  (Read 3137 times)

Offline recurve shooter

another survival arrow question.
« on: April 04, 2009, 10:48:17 am »
fletchings. sence i would be constructing the bow to kill the critters that pack around the feathers, i would have no feathers previous to building the weapon and killing said feather toteing critters.  ???

so what do i do for fletching?
lets just shoot it

Offline Little John

Re: another survival arrow question.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 11:17:51 am »
You can be a hunter gather. Around duck ponds is a good place to find feathers. Most cities have them, or pm me your address and I can send you some goose feathers. I actually like them better than turkey for a primitive arrow. Easier to prepare.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:11:52 pm »
Every bird out there molts their feathers every year so finding shed feathers is usually pretty easy.. when in a real survival situation.. finding a dead bird is a real blessing... feathers, for darts, atlatl shafts, and arrows and the wing bones make great small fishhooks. also most bird beaks work well as an awl for punching holes in hides for making clothes.. or patching existing clothing.. Hawk 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline scattershot

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:21:19 pm »
Lots of primitive cultures don't use feathers at all. Some use leaves, etc., and some use a very long bare shaft, which will fly for short distances.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 12:45:50 pm »
cool. i dont know why the finding feathers idea didnt occur to me.

little john, thank you for the offer, but im set for matirials, im just currious about survival sittuations.
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:23:35 pm »
James Parker(Robustus) built a primitive set up and used pine needles as fletchings. I never saw the arrow but maybe James will show us how it is done. Leaves can be used but like Scattershot said, leaving your shaft extra long will also work for hunting distance shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 01:51:16 pm »
cool. i kinda figured anything tied to the back end to create a little drag would work. thanx guys.
lets just shoot it