Author Topic: Wild rose bow diameter  (Read 2510 times)

Offline servicebeary

Wild rose bow diameter
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:24:44 am »
I recently made it back from a hike along the columbia river with a 1 1/4" piece of wild rose.  Just wondering from those who have used rose if it's wide enough to get 30ish pounds out of?  oh, and how wide were your bows?  thanks, -nick
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

nickf

Re: Wild rose bow diameter
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:22:31 am »
should be more than enough for a 30pounder. I'd take a shot and go for 50, but I don't know anything about wild rose. Got some info about the s/g?

Nick

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09:04 am »
Funny you should ask. Wild rose makes great arrows. I've been wondering if it would make a bow. Let us know. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:32:19 am »
I've never made a bow with rose either but I don't know why not. Like Nick said, with 1 1/4" you should be able to make a 50# bow so a 30# bow would be less stress on the wood.
   I know that rose shoots for arrows will check if not handled properly and especially now that the juices are up. You may try reducing the belly side down a bit but leave the bark on the back until it has had time to dry a bit. Be sure to seal the ends but leave the belly side unsealed so the moisture can escape. You should also clamp or wrap it to a form to insure it will not twist while drying.
  Good luck and keep us posted!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:33:39 pm »
Share a pic and a weight?

I'm pretty sure you can make some kind of bow out of it, even if very low weight and/or short.  I don't know, but I think roses have a fairly low specifc gravity.  I do know that they have a fair good sized pith and the bark takes up a lot of space, and they shirk a lot when drying, so that 1 1/4" might be a lot less mass available to take the strain.

This is just a thought that may not be worth anything, but it jumped into my head so I'll share it.  A backwards bow, belly nicely toasted and burnished to maximize compressive straigth, with a strong cable backing filling up the pith hole, and sillk under that.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:49:24 pm »
someone posted a nice wild rose bow a while back but I can't remember who?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo