Author Topic: Walnut shafts  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Walnut shafts
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:20:48 pm »
I have a question. I was given a great walnut board 2X8 and the grain is almost perfectly straight. I have ripped some 1/2 in. squares and planed and scraped them round. so far so good, however I was wondering if I should spend the time on them as I have never heard of anyone using walnut as shafting material. Does anyone know or have experience with it (walnut)? What dimensions should be used? I'm wanting some decent turkey arrows and have never made my own before and just wanted to try it.
Thanks,
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Walnut shafts
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:24:28 pm »
I have a few arrows with walnut footings but not a walnut arrow. It should work fine. Try making them 3/8" or a little less to start with and see what spine they come out to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 02:24:56 pm »
Ok, I'll bring them down a bit and get some pictures up here when they're done. I think I might foot them with some purpleheart because as they are laying next to it on my shelf they are begging to be together!
Thanks again!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 03:31:14 pm »
Wait till you get a splinter from that walnut. You'll cry like a baby LOL. ;D
"aim small, miss small"

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:42:22 pm »
Walnut makes a beautiful arrow for sure. Ones I've made came out at around 50# @ 11/32". Of course, your milage can vary even within the same species/tree/board. I always start with 3/8" square stock with any type wood I'm using and work my way down from there.

ART B

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 06:33:19 pm »
Should work fine.  Looks nice too.....especially if you have a really dark board.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:10:29 pm »
I would love to see some pics of those shafts... sounds like a cool idea for shafting.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:32:01 pm »
will work fine, its just a bit more brittle than some of the other hardwoods. but then the object is to hit the target and not the rock .  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 04:33:38 pm »
Here's a few natural colored shafts that I've planed out. Not counting the fir and ramin of course.

From bottom to top: sassafras, partial sapwood/heartwood walnut (made by a friend), dark walnut, persimmon, ipe footed aspen, light poplar, dark poplar, fir and ramin.

ART B

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 09:35:55 am »
Art, those look great, especially the ipe footed aspen, I've never seen that combo, awesome!
I've got the shafts to around #55-60 lbs. at 11/32 in. I plan on footing them this week sometime, I'm expecting my second born this week as well so running the band saw might be out of the question. Babies have to sleep you know.
Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 10:56:41 am »
Mark, If you are thinking about a new baby, you don't want your fingers to close to a bandsaw! :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 09:00:47 pm »
Thanks Commadore! You know, aspen for shafts turned out to be a pleasent surprise. To date, I've not made any better arrows from any other wood that will surpass aspen. And that includes POC arrows.

ART B