Author Topic: crack on the back  (Read 1917 times)

troutbum76

crack on the back
« on: April 04, 2009, 01:35:03 am »
i flipped the tip on this bow by boiling for 45 min and it worked well, i thought. every other time i have tried bending i have raised splinters on the belly, but when i looked at the bend after work today i noticed this
here is where in the bow it is
i filled it with superglue but the tube was almost empty and i didn't have enough to fill it. i am planing on backing the bow with burlap anyway would the tb3 and burlap be enough? i also have some sinew that i could cover it with before backing it. want do you recommend. the board it is made out of was sold to me as hickory, but due to the color of the wood i am thinking more like pecan maybe. any ideas? is this crack a check caused by drying after boiling? the crack doesn't run out and seems pretty shallow, all input is appreciated.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: crack on the back
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:08:11 am »
It is definitely a Drying Check from Boiling all of the Moisture out of the Wood....next time Shellac the parts that are going to be boiled to keep this from Happening again...as for the Crack...try to fill it and clamp it down good...I myself would wrap the Bends with Sinew to save it.....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome