Author Topic: Quartzite??? Otherwise known as ManRock  (Read 10876 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Quartzite??? Otherwise known as ManRock
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 07:55:57 pm »
I think its a fine chert. Maybe a little heat at the classic will make it knapp nice. Bring a pickup full and lets find out!  ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 08:06:47 pm »
Eddie, coral is a fossil itself. There is silicified coral found all through the midwest, but I don't think it's knapping grade?-They use it a lot for jewelry and stuff. The Petrosky stones from Michigan are fossilized coral, and there's similar stuff in West Virginia and a bunch of fossil coral around Louisville, KY. More rockhound than knapper material, though, I think.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 10:15:04 pm »
Boy....you are trying to become a Honorary Yooper aintcha???...... Petoskey stone is a fossilized coral..... the state stone of Michigan and is commonly found along the shores of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron in the United States.

It was formed by the fossilization of ancient coral called hexagonaria...... These corals lived in warm shallow seas that covered Michigan during Devonian time, some 350 million years ago.

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 08:44:50 am »
Petosky Stone don't knap, I tried :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI