Author Topic: Ipe/Maple pulling to one side?  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Parnell

Ipe/Maple pulling to one side?
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:04:01 pm »
When tillering things looked straight on.  After bracing and some shots I'm noticing this pull off center.  Does it mean that there is too much tension in the limbs on the inside of the curve or in other words, do I want to reduce the left side on picture?  In belly or toward tips? 

Thank you for the help...

Parnell

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline Jesse

Re: Ipe/Maple pulling to one side?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:11:24 pm »
Looking at the pic I think you should remove wood from the right side of the belly. Its pulling to the weaker side.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:21:15 pm »
I've always thought that the side that was pulling inward(right side in the picture)was the weak side, so you'd take some off the left side, or am I thinking wrong about this?
VB

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:40:33 pm »
Not sure...s'wat i'm tryin to figure out.  Anyone know for sure? ???
1’—>1’

Rich Saffold

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:01:13 am »
Parnell, When these backed bows get this slender limb taper, width to height ratios become very critical, and like Jesse said the normal correction is to remove wood from the right side of the belly, and this may work some, and may not.

I'd be looking down the limb first to see if there is any discrepancies regarding thickness and limb cross section height as being as tall as it is wide.

I also see the tips with enough width to file the nocks in from the left side to slide the string over. Even though the bow looked good during tiller under the string loads of shooting settled a little to the left, and I'd do the nocks first, taper the tips more, and see how it looks. Perhaps a few strokes on the belly with a scraper just to flatten it will help as well.

Try this as post your results, and remember this isn't that bad and I know side nocks will fix it, but tinker with what I said first.

Rich

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:19:49 pm »
The advice you guys gave definitely helped.  It isn't 'perfect' but that's not what I'm shooting for.  But, much improved and I'm pleased with where it's at.  This bow is pulling 62lb.@27 and is 64".  Will be sent out to Colorado to a cousin along with five arrows.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

Stephen Parnell

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 10:20:53 pm »
Looks real good Parnell,

Also when the overlays extend beyond the back of the bow this can enhance any slight instability. I like to angle mine on bows like these so the back of the string is parallel or inside the back of the bow.

Brace shape looks sweet.

Rich