Author Topic: osage price  (Read 6244 times)

Offline ozarkcherrybow

Re: osage price
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 09:03:10 pm »
To get that criteria, 150 bucks would be a STEAL!  I have cut several Osage trees, and to get what you're looking for is a major rarity. I would look into some of the folks that advertise selling Osage and tell them what you're wanting.  Other than that, I would make it to a "jam" and ask around. ............Terry
any stick do for bow, but good arrows are damn heap work

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 09:27:25 pm »
I think I bought a stave from the seller that Oldbow mentioned.  I bought it before I even knew about PA, and before I knew better.   I still have not touched it.  I would never spend that much again.  Too much pressure to make a good bow with that much money involved. ;D.  Now I try to trade for staves, cut what I can get my hands on, or EBAY ( my last resort).  Don't spend too much, it takes the fun out of it.  You can get a pretty good deal on EBAY if you are willing to work with less than premium staves. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Timo

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 10:31:34 pm »
I'll be bringin some very good stuff to mo- jam this year,along with alot of bow slats......Still working that pile up...It's alot more work than most people know.I didn't take any last year and I felt the pickins were slim.

$60-80 for a good quality stave is not overpriced in my mind. Course ifin ya want perfect rings/ratio,clean wood,and natural reflex?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 11:01:45 am »
from what you described, it's a $100 stave. 
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 11:46:46 am »
Hmmmm....the perfect stave.

$65 for the stave you mentioned is a VERY good price.  Most bowyers would not sell their perfect staves for ANY price. ;)

I would expect to pay $100+ for a stave like that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:49:54 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 09:18:50 pm »
I'm with Yazoo on it being worth it if its a nice stave. There is a lot of work and effort that goes into getting it and even more in processing them correctly so they will be good when they are ready to work. If a guy does'nt have the time, ability or desire and wants a nice stave then its worth it. I could'nt and would'nt buy one because I can and do do it myself.   a couple months ago I was looking at my cured stash and I was down to just 5 staves so being out of work a couple months and in need of some extra money and not wanting to find myself in this situation again,  I decided to start cutting and if I could selling some good osage staves. I recently harvested, split, debarked and drawknifed about 75 staves. The bulk of them were excellent, but I spent a full week scouting creek bottoms and getting permission to cut them.  Then another week cutting and processing em. I must have passed on a thousand trees until I cut one. I'm real picky when it comes to osage cuz I know that in any batch your going to get some that are way less than perfect so I want to stack the deck as much as I can. The result is I have been able to sell several of what I call primos for 75 plus shipping and the bulk of the really nice ones are in the 50-65 plus shipping range. I have sold several "perfect" staves if there is such a thing. I have selfishly picked out 5 that were not offered for sale and they will get worked when they are ready. I also sent the best one to a friend on the west coast so he could share in the bounty. My whole point is its supply and demand and you do what you can with what you have. If you can't afford it you do it yourself, if you can afford it and don't have it around and want it, you trade some of those green backs for some gold backs...lol. Kinda simple logic.

Yazoo, its nice to know I'm not the only guy out there debarking his butt off. We had a blizzard roll through Kansas a week or so back and I was out there getting her done anyway. I get cabin fever real easy and figured I was blocked by the wind so what the heck...lol

Just in case you thought I was kidding. Here is a picture of the staves.   Danny

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God