Author Topic: serpentine  (Read 28883 times)

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
Re: serpentine
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2009, 01:30:12 pm »
thanks fellers,cowboy that backup is for tresspassers and poachers,i hate to have to wear it but its part of the job,personally i would rather shoot them with my bow, lol.....

nickf

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2009, 02:55:22 pm »
you're the bamboo master Robustus... Just love the bows you turn out!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:33 pm »
 :D - won't catch me tresspassin ;D. Think I might prefer a bullet..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2009, 08:26:59 pm »
Thanks for the extra pics James.  I assume that the limbs were glued straight out from the handle and that the limbs took permanent deformation as shown in the unbraced picture? 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2009, 10:06:51 pm »
no marc,the limbs were not staight out of the fades,the unbraced profile exhibits the same shape  staright from glue up ,,except it has around plus or  minus one  inch of string follow ,the bow has finally settled in at around 56 t0 58#  @30" only at this draw does the bow  have its full pontentail ,i will be trying one with a hickory back and boo belly soon,i will let you know how it comes out..thanks for the intrest marc.........james

DCM

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2009, 08:09:47 am »
Fantastic bow.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2009, 10:28:37 am »
Thanks James. 

It is amazing that the bow did not take more set.  I don't make all Bamboo bows as it's too hard to get Bamboo up here but I have heard that you need to glue in a  lot of reflex into that type of bow because they lose much of it.  Obviously this is not the case with you

You should really chronograph that bow to see how fast it is.

Steve Gardner in CA and I have talked about starting to record wood bow performance and storing the data on my website, maybe on a spreadsheet or something like that.  He will do the testing along with a few others that have agreed to help.  The plan is to test a variety of different types of bow styles and types with arrows of 10 GPP.  This is limited to wood bows only, no FG, but modern string materials are allowed.  I have a self Elm recurve I built that I will be sending down to him for a start and I think a few others have agreed to build some bows for testing.  This will be an ongoing project that will be updated as new information is acquired.  Perhaps you would be interested in participating?  PM me if you are

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2009, 10:50:02 am »
thanks marc ,yes i would be intrested in these test,althogh i have  not speed tested any of these bows,i dont trust my chronoghraph,it is out  of date and in bad shape..i will be working on a few more of these designs later this summer,and will send you a couple,if thats alright with you.........james

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2009, 09:14:34 pm »
James
To participate in the tests you need to send the bows to Steve as he is the one who will be doing the testing.  He is setting up a shooting machine for that purpose.   

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 11:50:24 pm »
 James, send me the bow and I'll send it to Steve.  ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2009, 12:56:04 pm »
sorry mullet i dont think im gonna sell this one,too difficult to make,i dont know if i will be offering this model for sale,maybe i will later in the year or next year,but thanks for asking..........robustus

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2009, 09:53:30 pm »
That's amassing.  :o There appears to be only about 8 to 10" of working limb in that bow. I can't believe it takes that kind of bend at the poundage and is holding up.  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:57:34 am by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2009, 10:49:21 pm »
love the last pics!  you are definately the king of bamboo.  can't wait to take the bow making class you are doing at the tenn. classic.  that bow is a contender for lam b.o.m. and bow of the year.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2009, 03:26:26 pm »
thanks mehslasher,i dont think im the king,but i have made much progress,i hope to get someone to help me with a buildalong so i can post it here on pa.  i dont have a video camera,,,,any takers out there?  robustus

Offline Barrage

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2009, 06:29:58 pm »
A build along would be great!
Travis