Author Topic: Buzzard primaries...  (Read 23854 times)

coyote pup

Re: Buzzard primaries...
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 11:33:39 am »
An interesting point to make on this subject also is- what most people don't realize, a good number of the hawks and owls that you find dead along the highway or county roads were not killed by automobile. Sitting on a powerline makes them a real nice still target for rifles and there they lay dead on the side of the road killed by a bullet. A lot of less-enlightened hunters see these birds as nothing more than competition for squirrel and rabbit and believe they've got to go. I have known of people doing this. 

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 11:39:43 am »
I don't want to come down on all game wardens.. I have friends who are top notch outdoorsmen and horsemen who work for the game and fish.. these individuals are better hunters and honorable people than most hunters who I share the wilds with.. that being said the warden from Cody who had the birds killed is a real piece of crap.. with little regard for the people or animals he comes into cantact with..the worst part is their policy of burning the birds, when they could donate them to any of the local tribes in the area who would use them in an honorable way.. Hawk   
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 04:38:50 pm »
Deftones, the list of protected species that you're not supposed to possess parts of is basically any bird that isn't a legal gamebird. That pretty much gets everything big enough to fletch with except turkey, goose, duck, pheasant, grouse, and crow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 04:52:29 pm »
thanks hillbilly. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 07:31:35 am »
In the Netherlands where I live is a way to legally posess raptor feathers/products when they died of natural causes or roadkill. This is the thing I've found out (it may work similar in the USA, I don't know):
- If you find a dead raptor such as a buzzard, you cannot touch it, unless:
- you bring it to the police. You are not allowed to ditch the bird in the forest or in the garbage bin. It is only legal to touch and transport the bird when you bring it to the police.
- You report the dead bird to the police, and tell them you need them to fill in a special form required to own a dead raptor. This form is also required for a taxidermist to stuff the bird. Without this form, a taxidermist will not stuff the bird.
- The police should write on the form that the bird is roadkill or died of natural cuases. In other words: the police should figure out it does not have gunshot wounds.
- This is all free of charge, if I'm not mistaken. It takes little time for you.
- The police will just sent you home, with the form and the dead bird. The form should be saved as a proof.
- You may use the form to have the bird stuffed, but now you can also legally strip the bird of its flesh/feathers/beak etc.

I didn't come up with this law...just the way thing work over here.
I imagine it works the same if you would legally like to posess a single buzzard feather you accidentally found in the forest.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 10:28:11 am »
I think it is real sad that we are attacking the game officers.  Their hands are tied as to how to deal with these issues.  If the laws require paperwork and jumping through hoops that is what the warden should enforce. Working in law enforcement is no cake walk. Everybody is willing to criticise and no you don't agree with some of the laws, but it is you job to enforce the laws. The best part is when you get to protect the idiots that abuse you for doing your job.  :(
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Diligence

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 12:55:53 pm »
Somewhat related to this issue:

I wanted to collect some tendon from road kill deer - I do not currently have a good source otherwise.  After some online investigation, I learned that collection of roadkill (or other waste carcasses) is not legal without a permit....and can lead to huge fines and legal troubles.  I was told by the local Fish & Wildlife office that I could phone my request in, they would issue me a permit number over the phone that I could quote to any officer that questioned me - sounds great, but the catch is that I have to take possession of the entire carcass, then dispose of the remains appropriately.  If I haul it home, harvest the tendons and then dump it out in the bush to rot peacefully, it's considered "abandonment and waste" which is a wildlife crime, even though it was roadkill which will get hauled to the dump anyway.

This isn't intended as a hijack, but rather to show that rules are rules....unfortunately.

D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 04:59:16 pm »
I think in most states you can posses wild bird feathers from birds that are considered pests or an invasive species.  Here in Texas, I can shoot and keep as many rock doves, domestic doves that have escaped (like ringneck doves), European starlings, and house sparrows as I want.  Great-tailed grackle feathers are OK too but they are protected if not considered a pest in the area.

The pigeon/dove feathers are great for kids arrows.  The other feathers can be used for crafts.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 06:37:32 pm »
  I don't know about Texas, but you better not shoot a dove out of season in Florida. They are covered under the Migratory Game act, and is a Federal violation if a fed Game Officer catches you, not counting your State Officer. Bonepile, All the birds you mentioned have been protected since the 20's. Not sure about the Flamingo, though. It is not native to Florida, they were brought in to Hialeah Horse track in Miami from Cuba.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 06:41:41 pm »
Eddie, we take dove hunting pretty seriously in Texas.  If it's not a rock dove (common pigeon) or domestic variety, the fines for shooting a game dove out of season are hefty.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 11:25:40 pm »
We also have several invasive species of dove that are not regulated.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline beardedhorse

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 10:40:55 pm »
You can get a list of federally protected birds by calling or writing the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  It may be four or five papes ong and include over three hundred birds.  Some birds that are not game birds are not protected.  All migratory birds, all raptors or birds of prey are protected.  No one mentioned that if you are registered with BIA as a Native American that you can indeed possess eagle, owl, hawk, magpie and other feathers.  The feather bank used to be in Pocatello, Idaho but may be in Denver, Colorado now.  The artifically painted white turkey feathers can scratch and get dull from abrasion.  I paid over $3.00 per feather to replicate a Cheyenne war leadere lance and was disappointed when the brightness of the paint started to fade from abrasion.  I would encourage Native American bowyer=fletchers to fletch up traditional arrows in birds of prey and tell us how they shoot and how they stand up to wear and tear and how loud or soft they sound.  As too Diligence needing sinew, Mike Foltmer of Evans, Colorado has an ad in Primitive Archer and Wilderness Way magazines and has been selling deer and elk leg and back sinew for over ten years.  It is legal in Colorado to pick up road kill if you call the Colorado Division of Wildlife within 48 hours to get a free permit.  This only applies to residents of Colorado.   Sheep and cow intestines work likke sinew for wrapping quills on your fletch and tennis raquet strings are not made of cat gut but cow guts. 

Offline smokeu

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 09:12:16 pm »
Well this was informative and dissappointing at the same time. It truley is a tragedy for the Natives of this country to be hasseled over their feathers... Rayan is spot on
Longview, TEXAS

Offline stickbender

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 01:18:32 am »

Justin, as to the wardens, most I have met are very professional, and courteous.  But occasionally, you will run into a fecal ball.
The guy who had the birds killed, was one such.  He could have waited to check on the records, and then made his confiscation, or just let things be, if the paper work was correct.  But he has a badge, and a gun, and the feeling of power, with the Government backing him, right or wrong.  It is a shame he is so ignorant, and in fact just plain mean.  He definitely has some issues. ;)  As for Native Americans being harassed by airport officials, refer back to the section on DMV personnel. ;D  It is sort of like the Draft during the sixties...... I had a Friend from South Carolina, who was legally blind.  His glasses were litterally like the bottoms of coke bottles.  But he fit for combat.  Are alive, and moving, you are fit for combat.   ;)

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 10:31:29 pm »
 Not me, I was 4-F during Vietnam. Too many front row seats at Allman Brother Concerts. They told me I wouldn't be able to hear in-coming rounds ::), didn't really want to hear them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?