Author Topic: Anyone know what this is?  (Read 5570 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Anyone know what this is?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 11:47:52 am »
Hmmm most of it seems to be all of the same type I may have to find a small pot to fill with sand, might be able to do 2 or 3 pieces at a time.

Gotta wonder why the sand is necessary, eddie cooks rock in a toaster oven without sand I do believe ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 01:14:50 pm »
 yep, but when it blows, the toaster only cost $5 at the Salvation Army store.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 01:17:35 pm »
yep, but when it blows, the toaster only cost $5 at the Salvation Army store.

;D This furnce is lined with brick and is pretty heavy duty, so I don't think a little shrapnel will hurt, I imagine the sand is for
even heat distribution?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 03:22:18 pm »
Dana:  The sand does three things.  Keeps the slabs from touching each other when there are several in the kiln.  Helps to insure an even temperature change up or down.  Acts as a buffer in case of blow outs and when you have different materials in the kiln you can put the ones that need the most heat around the edges and the lesser ones toward the middle.  That is all based on being able to cook several slabs at a time.  When the area Indians cooked spalls they put the easier ones on the bottom and the tougher ones close to the surface.  They cooked in river or stream bank sands.  In my roaster oven I use vermiculite instead of sand.  Darn near chokes you when you are digging out the spalls, but works well.  One of my most regretfull cooking experiences was cooking some Knife River flint in the roaster.  I had no idea that 450 degrees was too hot.  Ruined the whole batch and now I keep some of those pieces around just to remind me of what can happen!  One thing I have learned is that its a thrill to see the color changes that can occur when you cook.  Brings out the different oxides.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 07:58:52 pm »
Well the cooking is out as the furnace is 240V and I can't do that at home :( Thanks for the info Joe

Manistique, MI

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 08:02:46 pm »
HARD HARD HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline smokeu

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 01:16:05 pm »
Yea i think PW too we have a lot here in east tx some good some bad some flakes good some bad I ve found some pretty interesting pieces around here. Heres one, and Ill download some more when I get time, just happen to have these on my laptop.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Longview, TEXAS