Author Topic: string track  (Read 2354 times)

flatheadkid

string track
« on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:41 pm »
Hi,
Working on my first bow.  Just long tillered to a brace height of about 3-4".  Tiller looks reasonable.  I noticed that I have a bit of an S curve to the stave.
My plan was to heat straighten it before short string tillering.  The string however is sitting about 3/8 " or so lateral to the hand grip.  Can I leave the string there?  Would this accomplish the same effect asa center shot?  Or should I try to straighten it.  I am using mulberry and plan to reflex the bow and back with sinew.  I would heat straighten with Dry heat I think.  ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: string track
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:28:09 am »
What wood are you working with. If the string is within the handle you should be OK. Pics are a big help so we can see what you are talking about.
   Have you braced your bow to 3" to 4" or just pulled it to that  much tip movement? If braced, forget the long string and work with it from that brace height. Are you planning on tillering your bow before reflexing it and sinew backing? You can straighten it out as you add reflex at the same time and then, once it is how you like it, add the sinew backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:41:52 am »
What Pat said but I might add if it is a little off the the shooting side it's OK but if you get much off you can get a lot of arm slap,it's helps but not really the same as center shot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:07:29 am »
I can't have a string off on the shooting side. It punishes my forearm and I can't get good arrow flight. So I flip the limbs around.  I almost always leave the handle full width and the nocks wide until full draw. That way I can shape the handle to track the string better. I can also cut the nocks further on the off side to bring the string over. I don't know if you've done any of these things. There's probably still room to adjust the nocks as I have described. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

nickf

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 01:25:36 pm »
I usually enjoy ignoring the string track, more or less ;)

flatheadkid

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:05:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I am using mulberry.  I read that I could rub it down with olive oil then use a heat gun.
 I don't know of an easy way to steam the bow. 
I am going to reflex the bow.  If I straighten it at the same time do I just apply lateral traction to the the limbs to straighten the limbs. 
I was going to simple apply a downward vertical force to reflex the bow. Specifically hang a couple weights from the handle until I get my desired reflex.  I figured about 3 inches would be good.
Thanks for the advice.  I'll have to find my camera so I can post pictures.
Clint

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:35:34 pm »
Perfect string tracking is overrated  :)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline yazoo

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:45:46 pm »
amen to that pirate,,bows do not have a mind of there own, all things being equal bows shoot where we point them ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far