Author Topic: My 1st Cherokee arrow!!!  (Read 5588 times)

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
My 1st Cherokee arrow!!!
« on: April 15, 2009, 06:23:47 pm »
OsiYo (hello)
I am a member of the Echota Cherokee tribe of Alabama and in the past 6 months i have been making
a real effort to get intouch with my heritage. So i thought it would be cool to have a bow and arrow setup like
the Cherokee of old.This is why i had all the questions about the 2 fletch arrow and its history with my tribe.
I made this arrow out of river cane i collected while out hunting last fall. It flies really good and is fast.
I am amazed over and over again whith what can be accomplished with all natural materials!
Here is a picture ,what do you think?
Thanks to all who posted pics for reference and gave descriptions this was a lot of help to me.
Matt

OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline n2everythg

Re: My 1st Cherokee arrow!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:29:25 pm »
very nicely done!
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 06:48:38 pm »
Hey MAtt,

That's a beauty, and I like the Clovis type arrowhead ya got on there.  Those cane arrows are deadly dude.  I shot 2 deer this past November with cane arrows and stone points...the first arrow went almost totally thru the deer, only the fletching stayed inside.  It jumped and kicked, snapping the shaft just in front of the feathers.  Never found that deer though...the shot was just a hair too far back so I only got one lung and part of the stomach. 

The second deer I shot at 14 yards and she only ran 50 yards before she crashed...the stone point severed the major arteries that run along the spine and she died within seconds.  When I field dressed her, she must have had almost a gallon of blood in her chest cavity.....it was gruesome.

My opinion is that perfect arrow flight and accurate shot placement are the two keys to ensuring a quick clean kill.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 07:49:17 pm »
Great looking arrow. Did you knap that Clovis point? I love cane arrows-nothing better out there that I've found. I'm glad that you've got it figured out. That style of fletching that your ancestors invented is pretty ingenious, It's good to see it still in use after all this time. Have you got that locust bow made yet? We want to see it too. :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:52:19 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »
Matt, we're on the same life path.  My great great grandmother was Cherokee by all family accounts.  I haven't been able to track down the tribe yet.  This site has been great for learning their ways and weapons as hunters.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 08:42:59 pm »
Hey guys thanks for the good words. Im not 100% satisfied with this ond but hey
its the 1st one ive made so my skills will et better and better. Hey hillbilly sorry didnt make the
clovis had it for years just never put it on anything. The bow is in the mail come fri but its ash instead of locust.
The bow im getting is a Cherokee style warbow. 54# @ 30". Buckskin wrap handle with a lk antler tie on arrow rest .
I saw pics of it today fo the first time man its a beaute!!!. However i doubt that it will out perform my 60 year old osage orage selfbow i have. LOL.
Thanks guys.
Oh yeah who ever writes the mag primitive archery thank you. I dont miss an issue. Its an awsome magazine!!!
OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 08:43:15 pm »
Great looking arrow brother, glad you are finding your way along the path of your choosing. Hope to see some pics of meat you make with your medicine arrow.. Hawk a/ho  
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:20:18 am »
Congratulations on an awsome arrow and congrats also on being intrested in, learning about, and following your tradition and heritage. Have a fun and honorable journey. Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Staver

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 07:43:23 pm »
OsiYo Matt,
That's a great looking arrow you made!! 8)  I think it's cool that you can identify yourself to one of the greatest cultures there is in the world.  I've been trying to learn as much as I can... more so from your culture 8) than from my own ancestors!! :P  Keep up the good work.  Joe H

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:04:10 pm »
Good job on that arrow.It will surely do it's job when put to the test. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 12:39:15 am »
Nice arrow, Matt. Once you get used to using the cane shafts you'll love them. Is that gut hafting?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 11:30:06 pm »
Thanks guys
OsiYo Tsalagi