Author Topic: New Cane Quiver  (Read 7299 times)

Offline n2everythg

New Cane Quiver
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:15:11 am »
Well I cant claim to have come up with this awesome concept. But the second best thing from coming up with a great idea is copying someone elses! HA

Actually I got this idea from a new friend of mine that I met recently down here in WS NC. Goes by Tracer on Stickbow site. or scott cristina. Anyway, dont know if he came up with the concept or not but he built one and I just had to make one up myself. I didnt have a hunting quiver that I was happy with so think I finally built one.

Wove the head out of cane strips and filled with an old 3D target foam. backbone of it is one long piece of cane that is split. bottom arrow holder is a spit piece of cane that holds in a piece of rubber. I wove the strap out of brain tanned buffalo strips and added some gee-gaws to it.

Enjoy
wade

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:28:07 pm by n2everythg »
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: New Cane Quiver
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:30:58 am »
Very nice!!!  How hard is it to replace the arrows while wearing it on your back?  Really nice concept. :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 02:25:02 pm »
Great looking quiver.. Cant wait to see it this weekend.. ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 04:20:52 pm »
Very cool, Wade.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:25:13 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:39:23 pm »
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.................
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:07:20 pm »
HOOOOOLY @$%^ that ....GO#$#@^ thats really really reaally awesome.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:09:28 pm »
Fine work for sure on that piece of art bud! Really nice work.

Offline Staver

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 07:26:52 pm »
Cool fusion of modern and primitive 8)  Great lookin quiver you made there!!  Joe H

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 08:27:40 pm »
Thanks all. appreciate the compliments.

When I saw scotts I knew I just had to have one.

I do know he is interested in making a couple up to trade or (that forbidden word here) $.

Dont really know how many 'orders' he can handle but if you are interested I could put you in touch with him.

For me... well one is 'nuf.... less of course someone offers me something I just cant resist for it.... .like maybe that bear skin rug or some such  >:D

Thanks again.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:40:58 pm »
Really nice twist to an awsome design, It looks to me like the Fred G Asbell design. I wear mine slung under my right arm with the points out in front of me. Love mine and think it is the ultimate hunting quiver. Easy to guide thru brush, easy to get an arrow on the string, easy to select the arrow you want. Again very nice workmanship and ingenuity.   Kenneth

[attachment deleted by admin]
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:43:50 pm »
Very Very NICE!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 08:54:20 pm »
Now that is a neat quiver! Great job! I like it. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 12:44:33 am »
Incredible Wade! I want lessons on the long ride to the Classic!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 10:06:54 am »
Any tips for splitting that cane evenly? It give me fits every time I split some and I wind up wasting a lot of it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 10:47:48 am »
Happy to provide them pat. It was kinda a fun project.
I did it like this with some suggestions and tips from Scott who had already built one:

built a form for the basket like this:

Then split the cane. and yea Steve it was a pain to split and get long strips. And I wasted a lot too.

I used really green cane. I used up 3 maybe 6' long cane pieces that were prob 1.25 dia. and pretty straight. I didnt do any additional prestraightening. I split with a thin knife stuck in my work bench but at the nodes I used a chisel to break the node and to try to keep the split straight. went slow. seemed to get at least 4 maybe 5 good full length long strips and some strips that ran out out of each cane piece. But for this small a basket all you really need are pieces approx 12-18" long. then I shaped and thinned the cane on a belt sander and put it immediately into a bucket of water.

soaked it for several days as it took time to make more strips. prob could have used it right away.

wove the basket over the form as best I could. cause of the shape and form I dont think I followed the traditional weaving rules as I understand them anyway.  ran initial strips across length and width then corner to corner. holding down the cane with a band around the form. then I did the first horizontal set.  after a while I just shoved and wove in extra strips that really only go 1/2 way across the basket to fill the wholes and gaps. then ran the rest of the horizontal weaves.

Then I set an inner ring piece and drilled through each strip with 1/16" bit. I used fine copper wire to wire up maybe 6 spaced out places on basket head just to hold things together. then pulled it off the form.

by the time I got the basket to this point  the strips were too dry and brittle to fold them over the ends like a traditional basket.  they kept breaking when I tried. maybe if I soaked and heated them I could have but not sure. So I just sewed the inner frame to the woven cane with artificial sinew. then I put on one external frame piece and used a needle to sew that one. then one more external ring.

hope that makes sense.

If I build another I will take pics along the way. Or maybe I can talk scott into doing it.
later
wade

N2
East Coast of Nowhere