Author Topic: Hunting and shooting with the English longbow  (Read 17545 times)

Offline Fitzcarraldo

Re: Hunting and shooting with the English longbow
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 12:53:01 am »
Well, I'm in the process now of finding a nice, straight-grained 1x2 at Home Depot.  I don't have too much money to put towards broken bows, so I figure that since I'm likely to break the first, I might as well start cheap.  I am thinking of backing it with linen.

Also, the jacket and tie look isn't too far off how I usually dress.  Maybe I can make the transition to wearing it in the woods when I finish this bow...   ;)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 02:26:44 pm »
On another archeyr site I'm starting a hickory ELB build along. It should take a while, but I'd link it over here when I get started if you like.

Offline Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 09:53:27 pm »
That'd be excellent, if you could link that buildalong.  In fact, from what I'm reading, it sounds sort of like you're one of the best guys to talk to about building ELBs.  Would you say a linen-backed Red Oak 1x2 would do the trick?  Or would I need a thicker piece of wood to start with?

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 04:09:06 am »
All I can say is; there is no limits as far as hunting goes with ELBs. There are a few Australian websites that sell ELBs at 60-110 lbs. of draw. A bow that strong can down an elephant.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:41:11 am by Bushman452 »
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 08:01:39 am »
I'm far from anything special, most of my bows are just utilitarian. But the style bow you are building is alot like the bows Phil Silva builds and sells on Ebay. Most of my bows are at least 1" thick though, so maybe a thin laminate between the belly wood and the linen backing?

Here's the link. Sorry about the pictures, they're annoyingly jumbled and out of order (and not even of the best quality at times). I'm trying to get photobucket to work, but it's giving me trouble: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=904088

Offline Runningbear

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 12:08:08 pm »
I hunt with a Rudderbows tri-lam longbow and love it!If you are short on funds or just learning to make a longbow look at there ufinish bows the price is very good.Its Rudderbows.com.
RunningBear.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 06:28:02 pm by Runningbear »

Offline Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 01:08:22 am »
Thanks for the links, guys. 

Kegan, utilitarian is fine by me.  I prefer it to anything overly ornate – pretty as they are, I've never cared too much for over-decorated bows.  I'd rather have something that I don't mind bashing through thick brush with.

Since the thread is here, I guess I might as well ask if anyone uses the bend-in-the-handle warbows for hunting.  As I said, I am more interested in the Victorian style ELB, but I am curious as to whether or not anyone still uses the full-compass, heavy-draw longbows to hunt.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 02:31:47 pm »
Then the build along is for you ;). But the tiller is slightly mroe elliptical (hopefully) as full compass bows are a little trickier to shoot. I'm shooting one now, and it is a little touchy at times. Other than that, it's jsut a heavy hunting stick :)!