Author Topic: More 2 fletch arrows....  (Read 5342 times)

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
More 2 fletch arrows....
« on: April 21, 2009, 10:55:11 am »
Osiyo
I made a few more up this week since im on vacation. Im kinda playing with the feather position to see what flies the best.
The last pic is to show the strength of cane shafts, the shaft thats being bent in the pic was a spare and will not be shot. I just wanted to see how far you can bend it with no breaks,This shaft finaly broke after another 1/2 of bending past the point in the picture. Lol thats strong!! Amazing material. Oh yea whats the best target to use when shooting flint arrow heads? So what doyou guys think of these.
Wado/Sgi
Matt

OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline DanaM

Re: More 2 fletch arrows....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:37:01 pm »
They look good to me and ya cane is tough stuff :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:00:04 am »
Those will definitely do the job!  If you're gonna practice with those stone points, you need a rather large and soft target to absorb the impact.  Cardboard will work well, but those stone points will slice right thru a regular box, so you'll need some thing to slow them down and absorb energy...possibly some polyester pillow material will work.  I used to shoot my cane arrows into a thick blanket that was hanging by a line...that way, the arrow hit the blanket and the blanket absorbed the arrow's energy.  Sometimes the arrows went thru anyway.  We were shooting wooden blunts. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:48:27 pm »
Good looking arrows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 07:39:08 pm »
Nice work and cool arrows. Looks like the ends of your arrows point out and away from the point, I would make them blend in and glue them so as not to impede penetration. Foam couch cushions are supposed to be good to stop stone arrows without damage.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:31:39 am »
Nice work, Matt. Those should do the trick. Like Kenneth said, try to get the forward end fitted closer to the point so they don't separate when they hit the target.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 02:45:28 pm »
I foreshaft all my cane..being Cherokee too I say Osiyo to you too....most of the Cherokees when doing a 2 fletch simply split the cane and slid the tail feather from a wild turkey in the shaft.then wrpaped with sinew.....these arrows were for light poundage bows and kid bows and arrows...hunting arrows and war arrows were 3 fletch..a good foam target is fine for practicing with stone points...gut

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 04:48:31 pm »
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one, Gutpile. Too many people read that in the Al Herrin chapter in TBB and believe it, but it just ain't so. Might have been true of the Cherokee in Oklahoma after the Trail of Tears, but not among the Cherokee in their original homeland. I live almost on the border of the Cherokee rez, and the Eastern Cherokee that are still living here in their original home still use the style of fletch that PartCherokee is showing here. It was the most common style of fletching in eastern NA, and it was definitely not for "kids arrows." Every old original Cherokee arrow I have ever seen except one was fletched in this style. I have never seen an example of a Cherokee arrow that was split with a feather inserted. Bob (Kowechobee) uses the style you're talking about, and says that it is traditional to the Seminole. I don't think he uses them for kids arrows, either, considering that he kills deer and hogs with them. There are plenty of old Cherokee arrows in museums, and they speak for themselves, as do the fletchings on the arrows of the Cherokee who never stopped using the traditional style of arrows. Foreshafts weren't too common on traditional Cherokee cane arrows, either. Most of them had the point hafted straight to the cane.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.