Author Topic: european bird cherry (prunus padus) characteristics?  (Read 4201 times)

nickf

european bird cherry (prunus padus) characteristics?
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:43:38 pm »
I found a nice bunch of bird cherry in my neighbourhood, and I would like to know how it dries, how it steam/heat bends, what the strength/compression specifications are, and how heavy it is.
does anybody have some experience with this wood? any recommendations?
 how is it suited for warbows, shorter bows, recurves...?

thanks in advance,

Nick

Aosda

Re: european bird cherry (prunus padus) characteristics?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:25:20 am »
The closest info I could find was just for European Cherry.  I'm not sure if there is much difference between the two. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
The bird cherries are a subgenus of the genus Prunus, characterised by having deciduous leaves, flowers 12-30 together on slender racemes produced in late spring well after leaf emergence, and small, sour fruit usually only palatable to birds, hence the name. They are native throughout the temperate Northern Hemisphere. Bird cherry is sometimes used as a food plant by Lepidoptera species including Brimstone Moth.

Some bird cherries such as chokecherries are used to make jelly and wine in North America.

Some botanists treat the subgenus as a distinct genus Padus.

Species
Prunus cornuta - Himalayan Bird Cherry. Himalaya.
Prunus cuthbertii - Cuthbert Cherry. Georgia, United States.
Prunus grayana - Gray's Bird Cherry. Japan.
Prunus maackii - Manchurian Cherry or Amur Chokecherry. Northeast Asia.
Prunus padus - Bird Cherry or European Bird Cherry. Europe and western Asia.
Prunus padus var. commutata - Asian Bird Cherry. Eastern Asia.
Prunus serotina - Black Cherry. North America.
Prunus ssiori - Hokkaido Bird Cherry. Japan (Hokkaidō).
Prunus virginiana - Chokecherry. North America.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Cherry, European
(Prunus avium)
Other common names: cherry, wild cherry, gean, mazzard, merisier, and kers.
Distribution: Distributed throughout Europe and southeast Asia.
Tree Data:
Timber Properties : Generally straight grained with a fairly uniform texture and a rich luster. Light to dark reddish brown heartwood and narrow, nearly white sapwood. Often exhibits greater color contrast than American black cherry. Moderately hard and heavy, strong, stiff, and moderately stable in service. Heartwood has moderate decay resistance. Steam-bends very well. 600 kg/m3
Working Characteristics: Machines well with both hand and machine tools. Turns quite satisfactorily. Holds screws and nails well, glues and stains easily, and polishes to an excellent finish that naturally darkens with age.
Common Uses: Highly prized for cabinets, furniture, carving, and turnery. Also used for paneling, decorative veneer, architectural woodwork, caskets, woodenware, novelties, musical instruments, gun stocks, handles, and toys
General : Cherry wood is one of the varieties said to be "Noble".Indeed, its rarety and exceptional grain make this wild cherry an outstanding variety for cabinet-making.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nickf

Re: european bird cherry (prunus padus) characteristics?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:02:26 am »
thanks for your input ;) I haven't found anything about this species either. It's more of a small bush, but thought it might be usefull for bows... I'll give it a shot

Nick