Author Topic: Heat treating mulberry  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Jmilbrandt

Heat treating mulberry
« on: April 21, 2009, 03:34:28 am »
I am in the process of making a mulberry bow and was wondering how it responds to heat treating. The bow is almost done but has taken about an inch of set. I was hoping to use heat to fix it.
SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: Heat treating mulberry
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 04:50:51 am »
Can't be bad for it.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 10:18:16 am »
It heat treats pretty much like osage. Clamp it to a form with about 1-1/2 inches of reflex and heat it until the belly starts to scorch. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 09:55:08 pm »
Got it finished and it worked great. It now holds about an eighth inch of reflex and performance is noticably better.
SW Utah

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:10:09 pm »
How long did you wait to brace it after heat treating?  How long did you wait to pull it to full draw?  Just wondering cause I don't want to mess mine up.  thanks   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:22:32 pm »
I kept the bow wet the whole time and then when i was done soaked it in the shower for a while then strung it adjusted the tiller and then shot it. I have done it this way twice but maybe im just getting lucky.
SW Utah