Author Topic: Where can I get some Hickory Boards???  (Read 4602 times)

Offline smokeu

Where can I get some Hickory Boards???
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:08:56 pm »
Anyone know where to get hickory boards in east texas or anywhere for that matter?

thnks

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Where can I get some Hickory Boards???
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:12:21 pm »
I would not mail order boards intended to be bows unless you buy from a bowyer. You need straight grained boards. There's info on my site regarding board choice. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:47:42 pm »
Not sure what part of east Texas you are at, but here is a great lumber yard.  The Hardwood Barn.  Im in west Texas, and wish I lived closer to the Hardwood barn.

http://www.hardwoodbarn.com/

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:52:14 pm »
many times you can get hickory, ash, walnut, and other decent bow woods from a local lumber yard 3 sides planed. not talking about the orange or blue superstore hardware stores, just a lumber yard. many of these woods are used for trim in new homes. hope this helps.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:29:19 pm »
I have found that most lumber yards in Texas only carry Pecan as their hickory.  It's kind of hard to find any other species. 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 08:28:04 pm »
All the major cities (Austin, San Antonio, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, etc) have hardwood suppliers and they carry both domestic and tropical species.  Sometimes you can get mesquite boards as well.

Burnie is right about the pecan, though....I haven't seen true hickory at any lumber yard in Texas....except for tool handles.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline sulphur

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 10:02:06 pm »
the hardwood barn is in Mt enterprise i believe, that may be pretty far west of you. if you ever make into dallas there is Woodcraft that has excellent boards at super prices.  if you make lots of bows it might be worth the trip.  Around the Paris tx area there is a saw mill in De kalb  not sure about the name though.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:12:22 pm »
Swing over here to Ponchatoula, La.   We'll grab some breakfast tat the Waffle House and drop into Acadian Hardwoods and Cypress and pick you out a truckload of hickory.....and cherry......and oak......and maple.......

piper

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 11:03:13 pm »
Why hickory boards, not staves?

Offline smokeu

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 02:57:52 pm »
Hey islandpipper I would take u up on it if it werent a 5 hr drive! and Bullitt if I could get a good Hickory stave I would sure use it.  I  have limitted resources/ wprk space to split staves, I figured I would wait till next winter to get some staves I dont know if I could keep em from splitting. I do have a buch of Black locust by my house Im getting into right now. not sure how it compares to Hickory though just figured they would be easy to work. 

mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline smokeu

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 03:08:37 pm »
Thanks Sulpher the Barn is about an hour and 10 min from me hope to check it out soon thanks for all the help. I also found a bow builder pretty close and hes getting me some blank bow boards to work on too.
Longview, TEXAS

Offline sulphur

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 10:09:45 pm »
hey let me know if you need to get rid of any of that black locust.  i have found only a couple trees of it where i live (sulphur springs).  gots lots of osage though.  maybe we can trade sometime.  longview is only about an hour or so from me.