Author Topic: Should I debark and seal ?  (Read 3796 times)

Offline BearG

Should I debark and seal ?
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:21:36 am »
Hey guyes,  I received some osage and hickery at the Tenn. Classic.   Should I debark and seal now or wait?   If debark what should I use to seal them with and do I do whole peice or just ends and belly?
thanks BearG
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline DanaM

Re: Should I debark and seal ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:24:54 am »
bear I would remove the bark and sapwood on that osage, then seal the back and ends with at least 2 coats of shellac :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 11:48:08 am »
What Dana said, and I would get the bark off the hickory yesterday. It doesn't take long for bugs to hit hickory with bark on it, and it'll look like swiss cheese. shellac or cheap glue either one works good to seal with.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline BearG

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:00:38 pm »
Thanks Guyes ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:05:28 pm »
Bear be sure if you debark the Osage you get all the way down to yellow wood,don't leave any of the sap wood on or it will probably check. Sorry you can't make it to Ryans,meeting Dan and Steve outside Ci. Friday morning 2 or 3 am I hope.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BearG

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:16:42 pm »
Bear be sure if you debark the Osage you get all the way down to yellow wood,don't leave any of the sap wood on or it will probably check. Sorry you can't make it to Ryans,meeting Dan and Steve outside Ci. Friday morning 2 or 3 am I hope.
   Pappy
[/quote
I'm sorry too.  Want to make that shoot too.  Give Baeu my best.  See ya at Cloverdale.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:55:56 pm »
One thing I have learned, osage is a lot easier to remove sap when sorta green than later when its dead dry.    Dry osage sap wood is like die hard blue steel.  Almost as bad as hickory bark cut in the winter.
Westminster, MD

Offline shamus

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:03:02 am »
You can season it with the bark on, but you'll have an increased chance of bugs getting into the wood. If you can;  debark it, work it down to one ring, and then seal the back and ends of the stave with shellac or urethane.

more thoughts of mine on drying wood: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/08/drying-and-seasoning-wood.html

hope it helps. :)

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 12:06:21 pm »
Should you bark or squeal? I'm not sure ???

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 03:05:35 pm »
I wouldn't use glue on the back. If you remove the bark on that hickory. Remove and nicks and sand it and then use the same finish you will use for the rest. Stain it (optional) and seal it. That way you are ready to go. If you use glue forget about staining. Don't forget to seal the ends too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!