Author Topic: Rock Leads  (Read 5040 times)

Offline n2everythg

Rock Leads
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:41:22 pm »
I'm going to be doing a distance drive from NC to CO this summer in Aug.

Of course will be hunting rock all along the way. Taking a truck... and if I can figure out some hot spots might even rent a trailer.
Main purpose is just to go see an old friend in CO and hang out but now I'm a rock hound by nature.... specially the chipable kind.

So..... if anyone wants to share some hot spots to pick up chippin rock along the way. I'd be grateful and would bring you back a present or 2. :)

Dont really have a route figured yet but would detour for some good rock.
Heard there is some talahatta on the AL/MS border.
and novaculite comes from ARK somewhere but not sure where. ...

figured I would do a little research before I left but guess my research starts here.

Anyway, anyone want to trade some knowledge for some rock or points?
Any ideas?
thanks much
later
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Timo

Re: Rock Leads
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:42:57 pm »
N2 there is a Keokuk quarry west of Joplin Mo.  Be off of I-44.So much $ a pound. Works better heated, and some of it has some great color. Be a good place to lay on your route.

A few of us will be going down there later this Month to load up,I have good word that they are in a great vein right now. ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 07:45:04 am »
Skip the UP wade unless you want some of that lovely Yooperite I gave hillbilly and james :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:19:00 am »
Skip the Texas Panhandle too...unless you want some Rock that noone else could or wanted to knapp with out Heat....and you have to beg to get permission to pick it up....or risk Prison if you take it from Park Land.......... >:D

Timo....you live near Joplin?? I got that way to Michigan every Year....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:55:05 am »
Timo:  Is the one west of Joplin you're talking about near Peoria or Quapaw OK?  I've heard of it but never made it over there yet.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:08:12 am »
Not sure of the towns there,It is right on the line I believe,It's owned by Craig Ratzit,(sp). Not sure how he charges,I think by the 5 gal bucket or just by the pound. He hauls loads of rock out, and you are allowed to spall,but not biface the material down,then you pay for that.

If you go try to get the rock with the specks and stripes running through it...killer stuff.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:56:17 am »
Thanks for the lead on the MO rock.
think I might have to swing by there and pick up a pail or 2.

prob wont make it as far south as TX either. and NO WAY I'm hitting the UP for the quartz... HA!

tho I know there is some flint in the lower part of MI. Havnt found a really good source there yet though I have hear down around Grand Ledge there is a nice outcrop. Havnt been able to explore it yet tho.

Eric - my buddy in S. CO says he lives close to a place called Jasper Hill where the natives went for material. Gonna have to check that out.

Keep the leads coming If ya would. I understand if someone doesnt want to give up their glory hole. but if anyone knows of some place I can stop off and dig around a little......

thanks
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 10:32:49 am »
Too bad your not going to take that small detour through south TX Wade ::). Just about any creek or cuttout in the road, farm pastures you can find something that will work. Starting around Mineral Wells down through the hill country south of San Antonio. Just knock on a few doors and ask.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 10:38:50 am »
Wade my son will be stationed in Grand Haven next month so I will be getting down there once in awhile :)
Grand Ledge is onlt about 90 miles from Grand Haven so I will make a side trip and see what I can find :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 11:25:14 pm »
i don't know if your into obsidian..but,I THINK...CO,might have some...where i don't know...there is a obsidian resource guide some where on the web.john

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 07:43:29 pm »
Hey Wade,

Thru Missouri on I-70 (around Columbia) there is roadcut after roadcut that cuts thru limestone with massive beds of burlington chert in them.  It's literally everywhere in central Missouri around Columbia.  I pulled off I-70 several times and picked some up, though
most needs to be cooked (around 525-550 degrees) to make it more friendly for knapping.  It comes in white and grey with some slight yellow or brown, but after cooking turns salmon pink, pale orange, even have a few pieces with purplish colors in it. There's so much damn flint in that part of Missouri it's stupid.....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 11:36:02 pm »
kinda sucks to live here billy. ;D

Actually down here where i live it isn't as good as it is up there. Some of it is real killer stuff! Knapps like butta! ;)

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 10:07:51 am »
Killer!!!
thanks a ton billy. exactly what I am looking for.
might need a trailer after all :) HA!
just kidding. a bucket or 2 would make me happy. Kinda fun to pick up rock from different areas and turn it into something.... well with me might just turn into a pile of little rocks.

I will Definitely put this one on the list of stopping places along the way.
thanks again
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 03:20:44 pm »
No problem dude!

By the way, be careful about picking up lots of rocks....you'll end up like me with so much stone that it would take 40 lifetimes to use it all.  Actually, I'm not all that bad, I guess I've got about 1,000 lbs or so and that's more than I'll ever use.  Some guys have tons of stone, which I think is completely unnecessary....they just want to hog it all.  Besides, I rarely make anything longer than 4 inches in length because I have no use for it.  The vast majority of what I make are arrow points, mainly because I think they are so cool and also because I use them exclusively for hunting.  Hoarding massive boulders of flint just so they can sit in my yard just doesn't appeal to me. 

I've seen guys who make big blades, while they throw away beautiful flakes that are perfect for small knives and spearpoints, as well as hundreds of flakes that are perfect for arrow points.  So I just follow behind, scrounge through their flake piles and take home bags of premium, colorful flint that I can then turn into my most beloved type of point....BIRD POINTS!!  Yeah!   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:20:15 pm »
N2, I stopped at a couple of my spots ( road cuts)on the way home today. Lots of rain has washed out new rock. I picked this up in a couple spots. Nice lil tabs,some will be fractured,but sometimes you get good ones. Don't over look something that you think is junk.This lil tab is small and flat,looks like just another rock? But nock off a corner and see the killer!  A few whacks here and there and wahla! ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]