Author Topic: Making a bow with modern materials  (Read 5018 times)

norvak

Making a bow with modern materials
« on: May 15, 2009, 06:20:10 pm »
I am starting to get into the bow making process.  I was wondering if anybody has worked with modern materials to create bows with.  I know that people use fiberglass on the backing of the bow, but I'm talking about the whole bow.  I have googled it and came up with no results.  I'm not saying I am going to do this, I'm just curious on the matter.  First thing that comes to mind fiberglass. 

Now I know this is "primitive"archer, emphasis on the word primitive.  However I figured if anyone would know the answer to this question, you guys would.  This site is awesome, and ive learned so much about the craft!!!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Making a bow with modern materials
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:32:55 pm »
Hmmm......curious to see the responses on this one.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:41:26 pm »
i was going to try this once on a bow
i went and cut the sappling down,then i went and harvested enough milkweed to make codage for the string
then when i thought i had it licked,wouldnt you know it.
i just couldnt find the plant(or animal)neded to get the "fg" from.
yup that project is on the back burner untill i can figure out where to harvest my pimitive fiberglass from. >:D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:35:33 pm »
I don't know if anyone makes bows, besides maybe kid's bows, from solid glass nowadays. I can tell you that a well-designed selfbow or wooden laminate will shoot right up there with or in many cases better and faster than modern-material bows, and is much safer and more enjoyable to make and shoot. I also refer you to the second half of Rule #3 from the PA message board rules posted at the top of the forum:

This place is about primitive archery. Discussions on the use of post-industrial materials (yes that means FG) is not allowed here.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

norvak

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 10:17:40 pm »
wow sorry.  didnt realize that in a bow construction forum certain topics would be censored.  ill go elsewhere with my questions.

thanks

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:59:51 am »
hi ,norvac don't go away mad, Hillbilly is a moderator he is just doing his job. there are places on this site you can ask questions like this without feeling like you'er being shut out.
   as for myself i have no knowledge of any part of question, sorry.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 06:08:22 pm »
What evldwrf said. That's jut the point of the bow forum on here, to avoid talk of fiberglass bows.

However, putting thise question in the "Anyhting Else" category would surely get you more responses, with a little less unhappiness from other users.

As for the bow, they fall into two categories: the very old fiberglass selfbows that you don't see made for anything but little kids, and compounds. There's a reason people still use wood in the inner parts of the limbs- less mass!

Offline Dano

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 06:37:51 pm »
I use all modern materials to make my bows, it was all cut and seasoned recently.  ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

norvak

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 09:21:01 pm »
I use all modern materials to make my bows, it was all cut and seasoned recently.  ;D

hah, the loophole!  ;D

Offline Dano

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 10:40:42 pm »
 ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 10:01:59 am »
Norvak, I wasn't trying to come down on you as a personal thing, just pointing out the rules of the board and heading off the ensuing argument. We have had FG threads in the past that turned very nasty and cost us members, so The Rule was born. Our lack of FG is what makes this forum unique and gives it its own flavor and personality.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.