Author Topic: sapling bow ?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline joesharp79

sapling bow ?
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:59:07 pm »
i got my eye on a nice slippery elm sapling was thinking about making my next bow out of it i was wondering when making a sapling bow what is usually the best design and do u use the heart for the back or just peel the bark and go at it or can i just cut it down to size and back it with cloth or something of that sort i tried one a few weeks ago and tried to chase a ring that was a disaster rings r awfully small in a sapling lol it broke in floor tillering stage

ALL INFO IS GREATLY APRECEATED

JOE

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sapling bow ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:12:27 am »
Joe, with sapling bows you want to just peel the bark and make the bow.     Check out Gordon's build-along with a hazel sapling. Lots of good info and techniques.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:27:24 am »
With a tension strong wood like elm, the crowned back will actually improve performance by concentrating the tension load on the top fibres.  All my bows are made from saplings or boards with the balance weighing heavily for the saplings.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:45:26 am »
Slippery elm is good wood. Like everybody said, just peel the bark, no backing needed. I made one good bow from a 2" slippery elm sapling. A long D-bow, Eastern Woodlands style, would be a good design to try first with your sapling.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.