Author Topic: Glueing on a handle question  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Craig/Fl

Glueing on a handle question
« on: May 29, 2009, 08:19:03 pm »
Hi,
I'm going glue up a osage/boo board in the morning and will be using TBIII for the first time, Its pretty hot here and I'm a little concerned about drying time and wondered if glueing on the handle later would present a problem. I havent done one of this in about 7 years and dont want to get rushed. I'm  just doing a simple perry reflex. I was planning on just clamping the part of the board that would have the handle flat to the table so there wouldn't be any bend there. If I remember correctly I used to glue this up all at once, any problems doing it this way? Thanks, Craig

radius

Re: Glueing on a handle question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 08:32:18 pm »
you can get a pretty nice handle if you layer thinner strips of different woods together.  They will be easy to bend and clamp onto the bowstave after you've glued the osage and bamboo together.

it's tbIII....drying time very short.  Might as well do it in two goes.  That way your handle doesn't have to be dead flat.

radius

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:27:02 pm »
 Craig, I'm in Florida and never had a problem gluing a handle on the way you describe. I've got an Osage board bow in Perry reflex I'm finishing the final tiller, glued up the same way with a walnut handle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:14:25 am »
Thanks guys, I'm going to go ahead a try it, I'm basically just trying to see how this TBIII will work out for me, In the past I've always used resorcinol but kind find it local anymore.