Author Topic: Pacific Cascara Bow  (Read 15375 times)

Offline burn em up chuck

Re: Pacific Cascara Bow
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 11:08:32 am »
very nicely done ! been wanting to try cascara but have'nt been able to identify in the woods. beautiful profile.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Shaun

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 11:56:59 am »
Love your work Gordon. Once again, you've raised the bar. I love to look long at the tiller of your bows.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 12:10:51 pm »
Yep- that's Gordon! Same hat  ;D - same fine craftsmanship! :)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Keenan

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 03:40:46 pm »
 I had the opportunity to see this bow up close at the rendezvous and it is beyond impressive. This is definitely on of the nicest bows that I've seen. Gordons attention to detail is quite humbling, and his bows always make me walk away striving harder for perfection on the next one. 
  I think we will be seeing more cascara in the future. It really is a great bow wood. Again awesome bow Gordon.     Keenan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 06:06:20 pm »
  Gordon, that is a good looking bow as usual. I've been sitting on a piece of Cascara for about 3 years. I guess I need to get to it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

AKAPK

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 07:17:42 pm »
Impessed again Gordon, a true wizard with the wood.Phillip

Offline redwasp

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 09:22:07 pm »
you make some beeeeautiful bows.never heard of that type of wood.nice skins,handle,tiller. you can really tell how much you love to do this. ;)
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 11:07:48 pm »
man, what could i say that hasn't already been said??  i definite work of art.  it also reminds me that archery is one of the thiings that all humans in all the centuries have in common. no matter where you go you can always find wood to make a bow.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 12:42:31 am »
Thank you Manny, I wanted to try something a little different for the handle this time.

Thank you for the nice words Tim. I am happy with the tiller – it just looks a little funny with all of those dips.

Thank you Greg.

Thank you Dana, I remember well some of JD’s cascara bows. He did some impressive work with this wood.

Thank you Kegan, I appreciate the compliment.

Thank you Thomas, I wanted the handle color to match the tips. I think it turned out okay.

Thank you for the kind words Kenneth.

Thank you Bear. Actually my friend Dave Hanselman gifted me the stave. It was from a trip we made a couple of years ago.

Thank you Frank. I am very happy with the profile. I am extremely impressed with how little set this wood takes.

Thank you Joel. It was great visiting with you this weekend. Are you planning on coming to the Gods Valley rendezvous?

Thank you Chuck. Cascara is characterized by its elongated leaves with very prominent veins on the underside. The wood also has a rather pungent smell.

Thank you for the compliment Shaun.

Thank you Don. I hope you are not getting tired of seeing my posts.

Thank you for your extremely generous compliments Keenan, but you have nothing to be humbled about. The juniper bow you gifted to me this past weekend is a superb piece of bowyer’s craft.  I have much to learn from you my friend.

Thank you Eddie. If you decide you don’t want to mess with that stave, feel free to send it to me!

Thank you for the nice compliment Philip.

Thank you Redwasp. I do enjoy fashioning functional bows from wood. On that score I think I am in good company here!

Thank you for the compliment sulphur. Your observation about wood and bows is so true.
Gordon

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 12:52:01 am »
Gordon what are the dates for God's Valley. It will depend if I can get off work. Hopefully.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 02:57:23 am »

Thank you Don. I hope you are not getting tired of seeing my posts.

Well, even if he gets tired...I don't (not even with the same had all the time  ;D ;D ;D ) !!!
Frank from Germany...

brian melton

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 01:26:38 pm »

Great bow Gordon! You seem to come around to the wood that some would claim to be a real crappy choice! ::) Great work!

Brian

Offline Gordon

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 03:31:54 pm »
Thank you Brian. I don't know why anyone would consider this inferior bow wood. I can't say for certain what its qualities are in tension - that's why I backed it. But it is clearly a superior compression wood. After seeing how well this bow performs I'm going to try for higher weight on the next one.
Gordon

Offline mox1968

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 04:33:45 pm »
impressive bow a work of art.

brian melton

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 11:59:22 pm »
Gordon,

Cascara is NOT bullet proof on the back, but I have made several bows in the 50's that held up. I strongly advise a serious burnishing on the back if you are going to try it...one nick, and BOOM! Backing as you did is wise, in my opinion.

I call Cascara our NW red cedar(eastern that is..) If you ever worked eastern red cedar it is very similar in compression..

Brian
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 12:02:29 am by brian melton »