Author Topic: Black Locust, Ash, or White Oak  (Read 2824 times)

Ahnlaashock

Black Locust, Ash, or White Oak
« on: May 26, 2009, 07:22:05 pm »
I went by the saw mill today. 
He has a 3 inch by 9 inch by 8 foot or so Black Locust board set back as a mantle piece. 
The rings are in the .25 thick range and the centrer of the board is the heart of the tree.   There are two stave's, one in each side of the board with the backs roughly facing the sides of the board.  I don't know if the heart can be split and used or not. 
87$  Ouch! 
There is one other 3/4 inch thick board there with lots of bad areas.  It is 20 bucks for the board. 
There is a thick ash mantle piece what has good grain in one side of about a 10 inch wide piece. 
There is a nice Honey Locust board. 
Lots of White oak in 3/4 inch. 
Lots of Walnut. 
Is the straight grained White Oak a better choice than trying to purchase Black Locust in a board or a piece? 
By the way, there are little thin shallow drying cracks between the grain layers on the face of the board, but nothing that would be a problem at bow thickness.  It would all be trimmed off.  The layers are so thick that if you used a backing, I doubt you would have two full ring thicknesses all the way out to the ends of the limbs, even following a ring.  How do you deal with BL when the rings are very thick? 

The best board I saw was about 2.5 inch thick elm where blanks could be cut off along the side.   It would make about 5 blanks, but was in the 60$ range.
Beginning to think I need to take a trip out to around the lake and do some cutting of my own!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Black Locust, Ash, or White Oak
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:26:29 pm »
The heartwood part of the  board would probably make a bow provided the grain is straight. Ash doesn't like me so I steer clear of it. White oak is good stuff. Again you want your boards to be straight grained. Info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Grunt

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:08:11 pm »
A 4/4 white oak board makes a good bow. Make sure it is straight grained. I have found that the 4/4 size { one inch} is the most bang for your buck. Last white oak plain sawn board I bought I got three full sized bows and one child's bow all for about $14.  With 4/4 you can make a d bow or you can glue a riser on the belly. I suggest you figure on backing white oak board bows with silk or linen canvas.

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:12:59 pm »
What about the very wide growth rings?  Does that hurt it as a bow wood?  The tips will have less than two full rings if they are .5 inches thick.   
Thanks for the advice on backing.  I am pretty much considering a hickory back on whatever I end up working on!  Bamboo might be better, but it is plain out ugly to me. 

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:22:34 am »
Should be ok as long as the rings are dead straight. I usually stop my fabric backing about a inch and a half from each tip. If I use a hickory strip I want the backing the whole length of the bow. A Perry reflex type glue up on a form with hickory backing will give the bow a lot of zing although the tillering is more touchy. Good Luck

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:06:26 am »
Board bows don't have to be backed because they are made from boards but beginners should back their first few board or stave bows. Board choice is critical. Straight grained is best. More info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline richpierce

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 01:27:20 pm »
Get a good stave, is my advice.  You should be able to get a good black locust stave for $40 somewhere.

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:07:27 pm »
If this is the Rich P I think it is, long time since we talked!  Nice to hear from you!  Did not know you were into bows, but it figures.  I have several places I can cut my own if I ever get time to run out to the lake farm.   Might get access to some huge old hedge also!   The limbs on the one would make close to thirty 72 inch half limb staves! 
A farmer down the road a ways has two black locust trees standing out in the edge of a cow pasture.  I might see if I can make myself usefull and cut that out of his pasture for him.  They look to be about 12 to 15 inches after the bark is removed. 
I am learning.  I cut a HL stave at dark yesterday just to have something to be whittling on.   I sealed the ends, but I did not remove the bark.  It is about a 5-6 inch piece with no limb knots that doesn't look too twisted.  It does have a pretty good curve to it.  I was going to remove the bark tonight, but it is raining.   It may not be good bow wood, but it is good enough to hand me a couple more lessons!
At the prices some folks want for staves, I thought real hard about offering my friend 60$ for the 3 inch thick board and then hoping to make several bows out of it.   I called a guy that advertises hedge, but he wanted 125$ a stave.  Was a short conversation.  There are two nice staves in the board facing outwards towards the sides. 
I am hoping to find something nice, but at this point, I would have to put it back for a while until my skills and understanding get better.   
Thanks for the help guys!