Author Topic: Wide short bows  (Read 12839 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Wide short bows
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 12:00:10 am »
Depends on the Wood....for Hickory....I would make it 1 to 1 1/4" wide at the Riser...Grip...or Handle...what ever you wish to call it....and 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" wide at the widest part of the Fades...now Paddle Bows are a bit tricky to tiller...so take your Time...and Patrick (Jackcrafty) he also does them.... They get way thin in the paddles and thicken back out towards the nocks...so go slow and watch it closely.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 08:33:29 am »
Depends on the Wood....for Hickory....I would make it 1 to 1 1/4" wide at the Riser...Grip...or Handle...what ever you wish to call it....and 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" wide at the widest part of the Fades...now Paddle Bows are a bit tricky to tiller...so take your Time...and Patrick (Jackcrafty) he also does them.... They get way thin in the paddles and thicken back out towards the nocks...so go slow and watch it closely.

So your saying you can hinge the paddle in no time flat?  Bet its hard removing wood from 2.5" with a scraper.
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 10:17:43 am »
Thats all I use is a Scraper....and now that I got that Wood Hogging Scraper from Shannon....man does it come off nice!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline billy

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 11:28:47 am »
Tillering those thin limbs can be tricky, so I would suggest using coarse to medium-grit sandpaper. That seemed to work the best for me, and it allowed slow and controlled wood removal. 
Marietta, Georgia