Author Topic: Draw Knifes What to Buy?????  (Read 4027 times)

Offline d frana

Re: Draw Knifes What to Buy?????
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 07:04:43 pm »
I have 3.  One has a straight blade, two with curved blades.  Curved blades seem easier to use in my opinion.  Pick up an old one at second hand shop or garage sale.  watch out for pitted blades.  My little one is a curved blade flex-cut wood carvers drawknife.  I don't use it for ring chasing, just fine detailed cuts. The blade is flexible and it works great and really holds an edge.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 08:45:33 pm »
ANTIQUE STORES.  Try to talk them down.  I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Old, but in great shape, with really nice handles.  The guy had it marked $25, but I offered $20 and he took it.  It works great.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline yazoo

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 01:27:22 pm »
I use a draw knife every day,for many hours,,and by far the best I have ever had is a small carvers drawknife from veritas, it is small has 4in blade,, turn it up side down and it cuts like butter,  every one who saw it at the classic was amazed,, I have tried them all this one is the best, 
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline barebo

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 07:57:06 pm »
Mine is also Very Old - I'd guess 100+ years old. The steel is so pure that it shines like chrome after I hone it. It has an "8" stamped into it - I assume it means 8" of cutting edge. It can be razor sharp and stays like that bow after bow. it's not perfectly straight and by moving it side to side, I can use it to do flats or crowns, and turned on edge, can make shavings fine as a hair. Antique shop for $10.00 !!! Best tool I own.