Author Topic: Stingray Barbs  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Allen7

Stingray Barbs
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:17:55 pm »
Has anyone had any experience using stingray barbs for arrow tips.   The barbs are hard, sharp, very serrated edges, plenty long enough, and absolutely wicked looking.      Also, someone told me they were illegal to have.   However, that doesn't make sense unless it is from an endangered or threatened species.   There are some very common species of stingrays, that have barbs, and are edible.

Allen

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Stingray Barbs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:19:59 pm »
Allen I have used them to make primitive fishing arrows and they worked very well..

Offline boo

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:06:32 am »
That would make a great fishing arrow, Ive been got twice by a sting ray and had to rip them out before to much poison got in me. Them suckers dont want to come out. Almost lost my life on the first one.  IVe seen them for sale in beach shops here in NC before????? dont know about being illegal????
Boo

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 11:46:14 am »
I read that coastal tribes would use stingray barbs on there arrows.  Would love to see what a stingray barbed arrow looks like.

Offline Allen7

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 05:17:42 pm »
A friend sent me a couple barbs from stingrays they had caught fishing in Florida.  They look long enough to make a couple arrowheads out of each one.  They have some curve towards the tip.    Do you know if you can steam them or boil them to take the curve out?

Allen

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 02:35:45 pm »
huh. goin fishin in tha gulf this weekend. look out rays, you got arra heads attatched to your buts. your in trouble.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline boo

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:47:20 pm »
Where ya going RS, Im heading out tomorrow for five days. We are going to cape lookout island using four wheelers and tent camping. Fishing the whole time. Have fun and be careful with them rays, i know i will
Boo

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 11:55:14 am »
im not sure. im going with a friend's uncle so im just kind of along for the ride. and i'll defenantly be carefull. yall watch out for snakes to.
lets just shoot it