Author Topic: Can anyone reccomend a good place to start  (Read 5919 times)

misfitxnet

Can anyone reccomend a good place to start
« on: June 02, 2009, 05:56:46 pm »
I want to build a longbow out of a single piece of wood, not a recurve.
I'd possibly like to use birch or maybe cedar.
Books? Web Sites?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Can anyone reccomend a good place to start
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:08:26 pm »
Read the traditional bowyer's bible series, or just browse around on this site.  I learned the majority of the stuff I know from this site, and am still learning something new every day.   There's a guy that has a great build along on his site with a bunch of info for beginners who will probably chime in with his website soon named "jawge".  His site taught me alot of what i know just dont remember it at the moment.  Good luck on your first bow!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:11:52 pm »
Traditional Bowyers Bible, available at Horsefeathers Ranch  http://www.horsefeathersranch.com/archery.htm
As for sites, this one....  and George's site  http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/archer.html
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:12:51 pm »
I want to build a longbow out of a single piece of wood, not a recurve.
I'd possibly like to use birch or maybe cedar.
Books? Web Sites?
Yes if you would like to build an English style long bow  just go to the longbow thread of this website and you will find all the info you need. Probably already there just do a search. If you would like to build a native american style bow just go to the bows section and do the same if you do not find what you are looking for post a question. There are also many vendors who advertise with this magazine that sell books that cover just about every aspect of bow building. I would personally recomend the Traditional Bowyers Bible series books. They are a wealth of information in a small package.
Hope this helps.
Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:07:46 pm »
billets to bows by glen stcharles, trad boyers bible, cherokee bows and arrows by al herrin all good
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline THoward

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 05:22:26 pm »
I agree this site is great but nothing better than getting your hands on some wood.  I'd say look around and find a gathering of some type where they will be building bows.  Get there and soak in as much as you can.  Remember, take the good with the bad.  You will sure break something.  Just learn from it and forge on.
Good Luck
T
"i came to live out loud" emile zola