Author Topic: Which type of rings are stronger?  (Read 6998 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Which type of rings are stronger?
« on: June 04, 2007, 11:34:13 am »
A guy offering to set aside some elm logs asked me if tight rings were best on elm or more open rings as young growth trees.  I couldn't give him an answer.

What's the scoop on this? What about B. locust and hornbeam which he is also offering to save for me.

I suppose it's different for selfbows as opposed to backed bows right?

Offline Badger

Re: Which type of rings are stronger?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 12:06:43 pm »
Easter, on locust and osage i prefer wider rings, on whitewoods I have no opinion and have seen both narrow and wide ringed bows perform well. Ash I prefer wider most of the time but no solid opinions. Steve

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:07:08 pm »
I've wondered about that issue two in white woods.  I am looking around at some white oak trees.  Ones near me on some rough sandy soiled ridge country are very thin ringed, but I see lumber cut from rich soils with pretty thick w. oak rings.  Some discussions of lumber I have seen mention that shagbark hickory is heavier and harder when thick ringed.

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 01:35:29 pm »
I've made bows with both hickory and elm with thin rings and they came out great. I prefer rings about 1/8" to 3/16" think on osage, locust, mulberry, etc. but I have made very nice bows with thin ringed osage. The osage ELB that won BOM in Feb. of 06 has very thin rings and made a beautiful ELB that shoots like a champ.  ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 01:53:42 pm »
I don't know enough to say one way or another. I will say though that you can have too thick of rings. In some of the really thick rings, the spring growth is a little thicker. It still seems thin in comparison to the late growth, but it is not as thin as I would like. I made an osage bow with thick rings and only had 2 good layers left in the bow.  It should have had 3, but the thickness caused tillering to get the 3rd ring so thin that the spring growth caused a problem and had to come off.  This bow came in under weight.  I guess what I am saying is if the spring growth is not super thin, I don't care how thick or thin the summer growth is.  ;D  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

brian melton

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 03:55:25 am »

For yew the wider the better... ::)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 08:32:10 am »
I prefer the thin rings on Osage as long as the spring growth is very thin also,the wood seem
to be denser and I have better luck hitting weight,it seems to stabilize better.As far a white wood
I haven't see much difference,I usually pull the bark while the sap is up and never really look at the ring thickness unless I need to chase one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 10:03:21 am »
When it comes to Elm I have found that thin uniform rings to be better. American Elm can have coarse rings that waver in size along the woods length going from thin to thick in the space of a few feet.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 02:35:28 pm »
 Thin rings like Pappy said.bob

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 04:10:39 pm »
Thick (1/8" or so) or more  is good for BL, if you have a preference. Otherwise take what you can get and learn to overcome. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 05:05:11 pm »
George....I agree with ya...I'll take what I get.....
I hop eto get some b. locaust soon. ( I wasn't even aware that we HAVE locust up here) ::)