Author Topic: Waterlox Sealer Finisher  (Read 2954 times)

Offline bigcountry

Waterlox Sealer Finisher
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:46:31 pm »
I have been searching thru the archives for a good finish for IPE and cocobola, and see that dewaxed shellac sanding is a good way to go if you are going to put sparring varnish over it.

I was talking with a guy from minwax and he said he never suggests any of thier sealers for oily woods, but said he likes waterlox.  He said it was just for IPE and Cocobola and bloodwood, etc.  But I am not sure you can put sparring varnish or poly over it.

Anyone try it?
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Waterlox Sealer Finisher
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 01:13:18 pm »
You can seal the wood with shellac first then put any finish over that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 01:33:23 pm »
You can seal the wood with shellac first then put any finish over that.

Yea, thats what I saw from a few on here.  I will probably go this route.  I called T-bird, and lady acted like I was an idiot.  I then saw the price, and decided it better be flame proof after using that stuff.

Shocked Shellac is still the stuff to use after all these years.
Westminster, MD

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:38:15 pm »
Check the date on the shellac when you buy it. Shellac has about a one year shelf life although I have used some that was two years old. .  If you use shellac first your ipe won't get so dark with the Waterlox.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:13:48 am »
Grunt, I buy spray shellac. It costs more but is more convenient and I don't believe it has a shelf life. I know the brush on goes bad after it is opened. That's why I don't use it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:33:31 am »
Good tip pat, thanks
Westminster, MD