Author Topic: Another board bow, a gift for my father  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Dauntless

Another board bow, a gift for my father
« on: June 12, 2009, 02:39:48 pm »
I was pretty happy when my mother found some linen canvas she had bought 30 years ago.  It isn't very heavy but it has a nice undyed colour and I managed to cut some 60" x 1.5" strips out of it.  Being the cheapo scrooge I am, I didn't want to waste two strips on one bow.

This is a sugar maple board I tried to make a thin pyramid bow out of.  It is 73" long and 1.5" at the fades.  It draws a clean 50# at 28" although with the low stacking, it feels like a low 40#er.  It has taken more set than I like with 2" just unbraced.  This is probably because I made the bow so thin, backed with linen and strung her too quickly.  I do have her braced at 8" too so my dad wont be forced to use an arm guard or change his shooting style.

I kept the tips a little more stiff than usual because the linen backing is so short and I wanted to bow to be low stacking.

The tips are cherry scraps from when my dad built a fibreglass canoe 20 years ago.  The handle is some mystery wood he brought back from Australia.  It was used for fire wood down there, I used it for a riser because of its nice heartwood/sapwood contrast and because it's very dense.  He requested an arrow rest and a strike plate so I made one out of a couple of layers of leather.  The bow shoots just fine without it on the right side.

The finish is a couple of coats of tung oil.

The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Another board bow, a gift for my father
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 02:45:03 pm »
Wow nice bow the tiller looks great!!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 03:47:58 pm »

Really nice!
btw. you can superglue the edges of the canvas for easier sanding!
Frank from Germany...

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:20:09 am »
excellent tips! very nice work, im sure he is gonna love it!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:12:58 am »
Very nice bow! Your dad is sure to like it! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...