Author Topic: Juniper limb build along  (Read 21793 times)

Offline Keenan

Juniper limb build along
« on: January 07, 2007, 10:46:53 pm »
 The Journey started in a subdivision where they were clearing some juniper trees. The limb in the middle is the branch usedfor this bow.
 Much like surgery a screening process is done to see if the pateint (branch) will survive the process. Though there were alot of very small twigs on the limb their were no major knots that would be a problem except one that was off the bottom and would be cut out with the waist since I was only using the top.
 The second pic shows a vertical line (top of limb) and a horizontal (first cut with band saw) 
 Third pic shows the heart wood. The next two cuts will follow along the edge of the heart wood.
 Fourth pic juniper on the right trimmed down and left to dry for 11 months.
 Five and six are rough dow to floor tiller.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Keenan

Re: Juniper limb build along
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 11:36:03 pm »
 Many processes are similar to surgery. I will try to explain along the way.
 Now after 11 months of drying in the corner,(Scheduling and consulting with the physcian) (Bowyer looking at stave trying to figure out where the bow is in the stave) The patient is prepaired for skin grafts (sinew) to strengthen the back. First pic. Ofcoarse the skins grafts  (sinew) came from a  donor (elk) The tends dried, pounded and shredded ready for the procedure.
  With the patient scrubed (toothed the surface with hack saw) and operating table ready we begin the first one hour surgery.
 Third pic shows the patient with airway established and all the monitors hoocked up (just for fun)  Since I didn't really have to keep this patient alive and breathing I do think I can charge as much for building bows,lol
  Four- Vital fluids (sinew) kept on warmer ready for soaking the grafts.
 Five and six- grafts aplied / patient put in traction to recover, 

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 12:07:55 am »
:o  ::)  :o  ::)  :o Your scaring me in that Doctors outfit there Keenan! lol...... The bow looks good though.... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 12:12:03 am »
  Ok here we are about two weeks later, Sinew dried into a nice reflex we are ready for the horm handle overlay. For this I have taken a Gemsbok horn and have split and found a section about the right width and contour.
 After some sanding on both the inside of the horn and the back of the bow, we have a nice fit and are ready to glue. Here again the bowyer's task are much like the physcain's with the bone graft and all.
 By slightly wetting the horn and placing on the bow I can see detect any high or low spots to make a better fit.
 Since I will be waiting for glue to set I will prepare the tips at the same to. (Dual surgery)("while we are in there we will strengthen any week spots") (tips).
 The tips are sanded on the belt sander at a slight angle just enough to create a flat surface for our tip build-up.
 The zebra wood has been cut so that the grain stripes are parallel to the base. And are let squared to aid in clamping.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 12:46:45 am »
 Ryano, my wife is an ultrasound teck at the hostpital so scrub outfits are common wardrobe around our house.
   lAll surfaces are dampened then glued with gorrilla glue. Because the horn wraps over the edge slightly Multiple clamps are required.
 Next once dried they are roughed out with a half round basterd file. Since the ridges were fairly close together I removed every other ridge.
  Often bowyers use saws to cut out work and once again surgens as well use saws. (Scary Part) Sure glad they are much more precise with their cuts.
 Now with tips and horn shaped out and about 22 days of drying on the sinew we are ready for more skin grafts.
 The back of the bow is coated again with sinew glue while the skin is soaked in warm sinew glue untill soft and pliable. I always pre-fit around the tips and work from the tips toward the handle area. 

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 03:22:04 pm by Bornagainprimitive »

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 01:04:40 am »
 Once again the patient (bow)  will go into traction (slight reflex set) This is because the sinew will have absorbed some moisture. After drying overnight I will trim the sides at this point because the skin is set but is slightly soft and cleaning off the excess is easier.
 To do this I use a ruler against the edge of the bow and a crapenters pencil to space out the stright razor to give about a quarter inch of reveal along the sides.
  Much like a surgen care must be taken here to keep from cutting to deep and severing vital growth rings.
 Bow is then put back in traction for about a week to dry completely.
 After completely dry, final tiller is done and and then it is shot in for several days to make sure nothing is changing in the tiller befor finish is added.
 Hopefully this wasn't to long and boring. This was the short version  Keenan

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 01:22:11 am »
That bow gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. :)
That is a seriously fine peice of craftsmanship, i hang my head in shame to your talent and skill.
I only hope with practice and patience I can make something so awsome.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:04:40 am by Pappy »
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 08:18:25 am »
Thanks for sharing ,can wait to see the finished product.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 08:36:39 am »
That's a wickedly awesome looking bow, Keenan, and a great build-a-long. Thatnks for letting us have an internship in the  process.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 10:54:08 am »
 Thanks Guys, Pappy the finished bow is the (Straight from the heart) Bow    Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 11:06:07 am »
Keenan, Your bows are true works of art. Thanks for sharing your process. This is another project, like JD's war bow project, that need to into the archives. Do we have archives? If not we need it!!!  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 10:28:59 pm »
I really like the horn on the handle, thats a neat touch, the doctor thing was pretty funny, what the heck was that red thing that looked like an organ of some kind in the one picture?
VB

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 11:08:19 pm »
VM I was having a little fun and decided we needed to secure an airway,lol   Ok So I got a little creative with a hose off an old water pump.  I was just flashing back to have what seemed like dozens of wire and tudes everywhere.....Couldn't resist having alittle fun at the Docs expense...
 thanks Pat you give me to muuch credit,, I still see allthe mistakes I make along the way    .Keenan

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 03:23:44 am »
What did you use for a finish? The skins came out very nice.
Gordon

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 11:14:24 am »
  Gordon the finish is Minwax polyuerothane, I put on two coats, let it cure out then hit with 400 grit then fine steel wool to nock off the fine stubs on the skin.Even though I always remove the scales there are those little feather tips that stick up.  I've learned that if you don't put a few coats on then nock the down smooth they will alow moister in latter on.  After the nock down I put on three more coats then a fine rub with fine steel wool and one final coat.  This mothod has worked well for me so far. I sometimes use the satin instead of gloss but but he said he would use sleaves if hunting. So I went for the show room look.   Keenan