Author Topic: Heat Treating Question  (Read 3486 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Heat Treating Question
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 04:17:15 pm »
There were some oils which I did not care to use when heat treating, linseed oil being one of them.  Tung oil on the other hand produce good results but my favorite is sap from any of the conifers.  This I thin down a bit with turpentine.  I do nothing to the back including applying oil
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Weylin

Re: Heat Treating Question
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 02:33:30 am »
The saga continues. During the tempering process I had used a caul to flip the tips and induce some reflex and it worked fine.  I have since started working the bow after giving it a couple of days to regain its moisture. It feels massively stronger and Im unable to string it at this point so I have started taking some wood off the limbs evenly to reduce the weight. I have been gently exercising the bow with a long string as I remove wood and I have noticed a potential problem. one of the limbs is retaining the majority of its reflex and the other limb is nearly straight again. because the bow has gained so much strength from the tempering I havent been able to get a good feel for the state of the tiller. It was well tillered before I started the process but given that I am inexperienced it is hard for me to judge it with the new reflex especially since one limb has alot of reflex and the other doesnt. I know that one should expect to lose a fair percentage of reflex gained from tempering but Im not sure how to interpret or deal with the imbalance. Any thoughts?