Author Topic: 5 months later  (Read 3225 times)

Offline sailordad

5 months later
« on: June 15, 2009, 12:05:02 am »
well the end of last January i started my knapping journey ;D

one of the best decisions i've made in my 43 years on this planet too i might add.
i think i actually enjoy this more than making bows.
i have had  no formal training, i.e. no one has ever shown me how to do this.
everything  know i have learned on my own,with some help from you tube.although you cant ask the vids q's when you have them.
i have played with a little dacite and a little burlington chert.very little novaculite and alot of obsidion by comparision to the others.
i use what i can get my hands on from rock shops mostly.
i have made some pretty decent points here and there,but i tend to break more than i make.
however i seem to be able to make some fairly decent knife blades.
in the few months that i have been doing this i have learned that rock,like wood, will dictate what it wants me to make it into.
for some reason or other it seems to tell me more often than not,that it wants to be a knife blade.
well i have made 4 realy nice obidion knife blades now.
today i made my first batch of pine pitch,this bow making hobby keeps leading to other hobbies ;D,and hafted two of the nicest to some
deer antler and then wrapped with whitetail back strap sinew that i chewed untill soft and applied with just saliva.
i am proud as a peacock of these two knives so here are some pics.
i know my knapping abilities leave alittle to be desired by most of your guys's standards but like i said its only been 5 months
any comments,questions,rocks or bottles are always appreciated

thanks for looking  ;D                                                                    peace,
                                                                                                         tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

Re: 5 months later
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 12:10:12 am »
Ain't it nice to have something you love doing...and a cool place like this to share it :)
 Nice knives.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:09:23 am »
Nice knives Tim and I know exactly how you feel about living in an area with no knappable rock >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 07:53:14 am »
Those are some cool knives Tim! Your proud of em and I don't blame ya ;D. A person just gets a certain amount of personal satisfaction out of making something from nothing and now you have to go use it on a critter ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 07:57:17 am »
Nuthin wrong with those! Love that purple stuff.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:33:31 am »
Looks good and I'll bet they work just fine too.Is that rainbow obs?sure is a nice looking rock
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Staver

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 06:13:52 pm »
Ain't it nice to have something you love doing...and a cool place like this to share it
 Nice knives.

My sentiments exactly!  I feel the same way Tim!  I only started knapping about 2 years ago and I'm still trying to figure out what life was like before knappin! ;D  Joe H

Offline Staver

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 06:15:46 pm »
By the way, Nice knives Tim!! 8) 8)  Joe H

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 06:27:14 pm »
            ;D thanks everyone  ;D

yes i was told that it is rainbow obsidion,both of them knivesa re from the same slab.
the little one if you turn it just right in the sunlight yo can see red,green and a touch of blue.
the larger one only shows red on the upper half and gray on the bottom half.
i dont think the guy knew what he was doing when he slabbed this,he is not a knapper just a rock hound.

i have a chance to get some more of this and some peacock? whats the differance between them?
i dont know how to spall,so i may just pass on the nodules.its way to spendy to have he rock shop slab them for me

and yes it is nice to have a place like this to share  stuff like this, just cant get enough.
well gotta go,i hear a pile of obsidion slabs calling to me ;) ;D

peace,
                                                                                     tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 08:07:43 pm »
  Man, Tim, you have come a long way. Those are nice. I'd be proud to have one of those. I have never been able to tell the difference between , Rainbow, Oil Sheen, or Peacock Obsidean. I think it's a Marketing ploy. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

PeteDavis

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 08:37:33 pm »
right on Tim, keep rocking