Author Topic: Looking for flint in NW AR/SW MO  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Newbow

Looking for flint in NW AR/SW MO
« on: June 18, 2009, 04:15:47 am »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm from western Washington, 63 years old and retired. I build bows, teach fire by friction and flintknap a bit. Actually, I obsidianknap. I'd like to expand my knapping to include various flint, chert, jasper type materials. I'm going to be in northwestern Arkansas (Springdale) for a family reunion on 18 July and I'm hoping to make contact with someone in the area of NW Arkansas to SW Missouri who could guide me to areas where I can collect knappable stone. I'm driving and am somewhat flexible about when I get to the area though I have to be back in Washington by the 24th. I'd be happy to swap obsidian for flint if anyone is interested, but to get experience recognizing good stone in the field, I'd really like to collect for myself. If there happens to be some hickory about, I could by talked into some of that as well. I'll be driving a 28 ft motor home, so I'll have room.

Offline Timo

Re: Looking for flint in NW AR/SW MO
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:46:40 am »
You  can check the road cuts and washed out ditches in many areas and pick up some good knappable rock. The Branson area has "Reed Springs chert" and over west of Joplin is a quarry of "Keokuk/Peoria", You will have to pay for it there, but it is cheap. Of course there is "Burlington" just about everywhere, but not all is good quality.

There has been a lot of rain this year and many places are washed bad,so the looking has been good.

Offline Newbow

Re: Looking for flint in NW AR/SW MO
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:08:04 pm »
Thanks Timo.  I'll keep that in mind when I get there.  If I can't find a guide I'll probably start at the quarry near Joplin in order to get some hands on about exactly what I'm looking for.  Even obsidian looks like a "rock" if it isn't chipped somewhere.