Author Topic: Questions - Hickory  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Parnell

Questions - Hickory
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:25:26 pm »
Hello gang,

Ok - the last bow I made was similar to this but it took more string follow than wanted 'bout 2-3 inches, 63 lbs. at 27" given for fathers day.  I've got this one roughed out, check out pics.  My questions:

How much reflex is good on a bow such as this to try to end up with no string follow?  I've got just under an inch now.
Dry heat, steam, or boil for slight tip reflex?

I'm using Crisco and a heat gun.  Better off using something other than Crisco?

It's the wet season here in SW Florida.  Humidity is basically 100% everyday. 

Does the untreated hickory pick up the air's humidity to raise it above a desirable moisture content for tillering even though these are board bows and the wood has been stored high and dry?  I don't have an instrument for testing moisture content.  If I leave the wood inside and just tiller it in the garage, should that be sufficient to minimize set?

Thanks.

Parnell

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Questions - Hickory
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:37:56 pm »
First I use dry heat with just regular cooking oil on Hickory,2nd I try and put about 3 inches of reflex to start and for the 3rd.No that isn't good enough to keep it dry.I keep mine in a hot box when
I'm not working on it.If you don't have one keep it stored over the ac duct.I tiller it usually in about 3 stages.I get them to brace first then let it rest for a day or so in the hot box/AC duct.Then get it to 18/20 inches and rest it.Then to full draw rest it.I will usually then put it back on the form ,heat
treat the belly and add the reflex back.Then in a few days after it has had time to rehydrate I will fine tune the tiller if it needs it and seal it.I always keep it in the house when I am not using it
where it is pretty dry.Hope this helps.You should wind up with at least a straight standing bow
and most likely a little reflex left. :)
    Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:56:19 pm »
Got it.  Thanks Pappy - you're a great resource.
1’—>1’

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:35:41 pm »
Yes, untreated hickory will pick up moisture. If sealed it will too but slower. I keep in AC during humid summer months. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:54:17 pm »
i use one of my sons bedrooms and store my wood in there.
boards and staves,i use a dehumidifier in the room and keep the door closed.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd