Author Topic: Decent Hackberry Rawhide Bow  (Read 4036 times)

Offline greenstick

Decent Hackberry Rawhide Bow
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:28:02 am »
  Another Hoosier made bow out of the old Hackberry tree on my land in Northern Indiana. Here are some pictures from bent stave, steaming,to rawhide and finishing. This one was a very stubborn bow that did not want to be straightened. After steaming the bow looked good, but even after finishing it still resorted back to its bent ways a little. In the end it's still a decent bow at 60" long,47#@28"[/img]Thanks to all of your help from this forum and P A magazine. 
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.-Thomas Edison  ( Indiana )

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Decent Hackberry Rawhide Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 12:02:29 pm »
Nice looking bow,Hackberry will make a nice bow,very light in the hand to boot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:08:28 pm »
Looks like it came out just fine, well done eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 12:26:22 pm »
Very nice job. Quite the steamer you've got rigged up. Bookmarked, too, for June BOM fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 12:33:24 pm »
Lot of info in those pictures - I'm interested in the steam pipe you've got.  Gonna make something like that soon.  Thanks for sharing.  Bow looks real nice, too.  It's got some character, for sure.
1’—>1’

Offline greenstick

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 02:05:05 pm »
Thanks guys, each bow can be such a good teacher. And the steamer was thrown together out of scrap duct out of necessity.[/img] If I would have had bigger pipe than 6" I would rebuilt it better, and put wires through the pipe to keep the bow off the bottom. 
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.-Thomas Edison  ( Indiana )

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:48:09 pm »
I made a steamer similar to that one. You dont need wire, just a chunk of 2X4 or what ever you have laying around. Put a piece at each end and the stave will stay up out of the water that collects in the pipe.

Bill

Offline redwasp

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 07:18:33 pm »
very nice,  I like it alot. Steamer is cool too. where does hackberry grow ( states ), I would love to try some. I heard it was like Hickory what did you think?
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 07:46:53 pm »
Very nice work. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline greenstick

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:34:51 pm »
  This was the second bow that I've made out of Hackberry, both seem to be good strong bows. My book says it a North American tree,and easy to spot by it bark.www.leaftoronto.org/node/291

Offline sulphur

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 02:15:22 pm »
hackberry grows everywhere in east texas.  its my second favorite (after osage) wood for bows.  Hack will certainly surprise you with its performance and versatility.