Author Topic: 45" Osage sinew backed ponybow.  (Read 9270 times)

Offline uwe

Re: 45" Osage sinew backed ponybow.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 01:13:50 pm »
Yes, nice little bow! Did you wrap it to my advice?
Regards Uwe

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 09:42:24 pm »
Ballista,

That was not me, wish it was........I have not made a rendezvous in years.

Jawge, Thanks.

Uwe, I've been wrapping my little osage bows for years.  I tried Laubin's intestine idea and did not like it, I'm not much on snake skins, so my first wrap around the limb job was just for decoration.  Then a few bows later I had to due to verticle stress cracks up the limb, after that I just do it to all my pony bows or bows that I have alot of sinew on.  Did it to a 58" flatbow, that was alot of wrapping.
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Adam Keiper

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 10:58:13 am »
Man, that is short.  I remember you making short bows years ago over on the Stickbow site.  Good to see you still at it.  That one's almost sized for concealed carry.   ;D

Offline Postman

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 04:57:30 pm »
That's an awesome little bow  - the tiller tree pic is insane......
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 10:03:29 pm »
Nice bow ! just wonderin if this bow was made for someone else ? Because from the full draw pics , your not even close to any anchor point ? How does a bow of this length & poudage hold up to all that stress being so short ? One last thing h ;Dow is the handshock ? ;D
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline FVR

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 10:54:58 pm »
Bow was made for me.  Short bows require short draw lengths.  Good rule is to draw a selfbow half it's length, so a 45" bow should draw 22.5".  So I adjust my anchor when shooting short bows.  Instead of anchoring at the corner of my mouth, I anchor at the rear knuckle of my right thumb.  My normal draw length is 27/28 inches, so shooting a bow this short adjustments have to be made.

You can't compare the draw on the tillering tree to me drawing the bow.  First, the darn thing is pretty heavy, well real heavy.  I had to hurry the wife to finish taking the pic as I could only keep it at my full draw for a few seconds.  And the weight will only go up.

I have found that if I use 4 layers of sinew, then wrap the limbs, then re-tiller, I can make these osage bows bendy.  Not so much with elm, but osage is awsome.  As far as hand shock, there is none.  I have however, if you noticed, braced the bow a little more than normal.  I do this because I hate hitting my arm.

Also, my draw will vary depending on how far away the target is.  I've shot the bow out to 20 yards with the anchor you see.  If I go out to 30 yards for a 3D shoot, I'll just sneak the draw back a little bit.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:00:09 pm by FVR »
Mountain got it....

Offline Barrage

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 11:40:50 pm »
Very nice little bow - I like those little shorties...
Travis

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 11:08:53 pm »
Great bow.   Great pics.   I like that "vise on the dining room table" idea.   That would be handy for a lot of things.  Not sure my wife would agree.   :) :)

Piper

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 01:21:21 am »

man FVR, that is slicker than snot on a door knob!  :o That is cool little bow.  8) Is it fast? :)

Wayne

Offline FVR

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 09:23:09 am »
It's pretty fast.

The vise, LOL..........the base of the vise is my recurve form.  Turn it sideways and I can bend wood.

Always, always, put a cloth down under the vise when I put it on the table.  I'm not crazy!

Mountain got it....

Offline PeteC

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 11:22:44 pm »
That's a neat little bow!!Good job! I can't see how you fella's shoot with a short draw.I just can't achieve the accuracy I want unless I "get it all". ;D God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline 1776J

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 12:52:49 am »
Any updates on this bow?
How's it holding up?
Any hunting with it by chance?
 :)