Author Topic: Two New Laminated Bows begun  (Read 11136 times)

Offline venisonburger

Re: Two New Laminated Bows begun
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 02:07:01 pm »
Have you used the plastic resin before, how well does it work? I have been looking for it lately and none of the stores around here have it, I have to buy it online.  After some research it should be the equivilent of URAC 185. The only difference would be the powder that comes with the URAC  which I have left over from the expired URAC I have. I believe the powder is ground walnut shells?
VB

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 08:28:30 pm »
I've never built a bow with it but have build a number of small boats......with well fitted joints it lasts forever.  Really, boiling water proof, and hard enough to turn the edge on steel tools.  piper

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 09:28:21 pm »
I had the day off today, so after the usual honey-do list I swung by the shop and grabbed that O/O/H blank.   Based on the suggestion of an active contributer, highly experienced bowyer here, who's name will go un-written, i stood by the big belt sander for a while and got that bow going.   I rand it through the planer and brought it to 1 1/8" wide, and then sanded it to a flat back/rounded belly configuration.  After a while it started bending like a bow and not a length of galvanized pipe.  Now, it is still pretty stiff, much stiffer than anything else i have ever made.  I don't have a tillering tree but use just a tiller stick to check as I go, and when i could get it to bend at all with a long string I started looking, bending and scraping.   the Osage scrapes really well, long wiggly shavings with the thin scraper. 

No pics at this point.  Just a couple of chores left and I'll try to get some later tonight. 

Piper

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 02:49:23 am »
Sandpiper, thanks for the tip about woodweld.  I have a sassafrass board that I could chase a ring on, but it would be a bit thin for a bow.  I'm planning to back it with a piece of hickory left from a stave.  I was needing a glue.  Sounds like Woodweld will do the trick.  But I think I'll try taping the side of the lam piece to catch the glue run off.  And, I'll make it a bit wider than need to any glue drops out.  Of course I'll keep the BS (beltsander) on standby.  Thanks for tips.
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 10:27:09 pm »
The dreaded "ticking noise"......i got the O/O/H pretty much shaped and mostly tillered.  Not pulling as far as I'd like, but I'm not as strong as some of the youngsters like Recurve Shooter and Ian-Johnson so that doesn't bother me much, as one of them can pull it when they come in.  But, i had it back about 22 or 23 inches and there was the dreaded "tick"....and a small sliver of the hickory backing had lifted off.   Dang.   So , i epoxied it and clamped it down.   Later on I JUST COULDN'T RESIST and i stained and oiled the bow. 

If the backing continues to make trouble, i guess i can power sand it off, right down to the osage and blue on another backing.   Any of you all ever done that?  It LOOKS possible.  May be a way to save an otherwise good bow. 

Pics tomorrow as time allows. 

piper

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 11:39:50 pm »
 ;D these should be awsome. im going to feel terible if it breaks when i draw the thing.  :'(
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 12:14:03 am »
Keith...what kind of Grain Cut do you have on that Hickory Backing? Biased....Edge....??? You shouldnt be having so much trouble with Backings
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 07:31:39 am »
El D."  a splinter picked up off one edge, tapering from a point to approx 1/4" and about 1 1/4" long.  It separated at the glue line, which surprised me, I figured it was good.  The joint was machined dead flat, was fresh and clean.  So, i might have over clamped and squeezed all the glue out.  I'm never known for having the perfect stick of wood to build a bow, so whatever the grain orientation should have been, it probably isn't.  I'll take a look when i get in today.  It is standing in a corner at work. 

Trey, stop in whenever and give it a pull, slowley.  I have a face guard you can wear.  Let me get some pictures first.......it is a real pretty bow. I wonder if i have a full set of pics, and get one full-draw pic, and then it blows up if it still qualifies for BOM?   ???

piper

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 05:33:29 pm »
mr. kieth i get my drivers liscence tomorrow, i'll b there around 9 or 10 or so.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 06:15:37 pm »
LISTEN LOUISIANA!!!Read the previous post........watch out for a really tall young man, driving like a newbie through the streets of Hammond!!   Be prepared to slide over to the curb and let him pass.  Good luck everyone, safe travels!!
 :) :) :)

Congrats Recurve......see you tomorrow. 

piper

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 11:11:10 pm »
 :D that was funny. im gunna b in grandpa's truck so i got to behave.
lets just shoot it

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 11:53:08 pm »
I got the O/O/H pulling nicely to 23", then it stacks as if it turns to steel.  Man, i hate to pull it any further.  May just leave it a heavy-a$$ , short draw bow.   BTW, it is 60 1/2" overall, 1 1/8" wide.  piper

DCM

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 11:28:42 am »
60" ntn and 1 1/8" wide stiff handled hickory, much draw weight at 26" is a lot of bow to ask, even w/ a backing.

Went to school in Hammond, La., SLU, back in the 80s.  Lee's drive in still there?  Got me pinnin' fer a hamburger poo boy.

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 12:54:16 pm »
I'll probably end up scraping it to get a full draw, but IT'S SO PRETTY THE WAY IT IS.

Yup, Lee's is alive and well.  I eat breakfast there nearly every monday.   Still have great burgers......it is 1960 at Lee's!

piper

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 11:09:56 pm »
i ate there a while back. sorry i couldnt get in today, me and the fellas went bowfishin again.
lets just shoot it