Author Topic: Waterproofing Wood  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Zach Roberts

Waterproofing Wood
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:27:48 am »
 What are some ways to waterproof wood with household items....or things from nature
"If you ain't first...you're last"

"If you're not living on the edge,You're takin up to much space"

Offline aaron

Re: Waterproofing Wood
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:04:36 pm »
bacon grease , canola oil, pine sap mixed with turpentine, superglue, wood glue....
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Zach Roberts

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:18:13 pm »
thanks
"If you ain't first...you're last"

"If you're not living on the edge,You're takin up to much space"

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 08:33:01 pm »
Heated bee's wax. Heat the wood a bit to aid penetration and rub it in with your hands. Be careful heating the wax as it can explode. best bet is to use a bee's wax candle and drip the wax onto the wood.  You can buy walnut oil and it is great for bowls,cutting boards and treenware. Have fun

Jim

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 04:47:29 pm »
I am making wood buckets and I wanted to know if JUST using waterproof glue will waterproof them, so they will hold water. Can you advise? Thanks; Jim

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 05:00:49 pm »
If you are working with kiln dried wood then glue really isn't necessary when everything is fitted tightly together because when you soak the bucket in water it should swell up like a tick.  At least that is what the coopers do when they build barrels and buckets. 

Look online for "Brewer's Pitch" if you are concerned about any bad flavors coming from the wood, Brewer's pitch seals the wood nice and tight, but I don't know what it is made of.  It ins't supposed to react with water or alcohol
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.