Author Topic: new bow started  (Read 5185 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: new bow started
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 11:33:36 pm »
Did I miss something along the way.....why are you Rawhide backing this Osage Bow? Did You violate the Back?? I am not criticizing....I am curious....I love Rawhide...but have always used it sparingly due to the effect it has of adding a lot of weight that doesn't help with speed or performance at all........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 07:24:28 am »
Woodstick, keep in mind that the best way to tiller a stave like that is to draw an imaginary or real line through the limb in an arc. You've got some stiff spots there. Can you visualize them?  Look at the partial draw pic and visualize an arc. I am going to a shoot but I'll be back later. That's a bueautiful stave. I really like it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 04:03:33 pm »
na i just put rawhide on it cause it is 54" long and it is gona draw at 27" i like a little security on it. back is one growth ring. and i know the tiller aint there yet it is just drawn to 20" for now and i will fine tune it after the rawhide is cleaned up. this is the most snakeiest stave i have worked with so it is a challenge. but i will try the line trick. thanks.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline woodstick

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 06:01:54 pm »
its getting better got it allmost tillered out. gona end up around 50# at 27". my batteries are dead in camera and i have no more cause i have kids with toys. will post pics 2moro.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 07:04:14 pm »
It's looking good, Tim. That is a nice snake skin.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline woodstick

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 09:23:11 pm »
well i worked the limbs today got it pulling 25" now put a scale on it 55# @25" i just work em 3" a day and let it set overnight. should have some pics this weekend of her. the tiller looks allright not perfect but this one is kicking me backside. i think it will work out and be a good shooter.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 06:03:52 am »
Looking good so far,sometimes them snaky ones don't look prefect,A lot of time if you flip them over they look completely different.I can tell more drawing it and taking a picture or have someone else draw it using the same grip as I do and looking at them that way.Like Jawge's said you almost have yo imagine the line.You are doing right with the slow tiller they can really fool you and very easy to hinge in the curves if you aren't careful.Good looking skin that should be a beauty. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 07:43:34 am »
That ought to make a nice snakey bow. That's a big timber rattler, ought to look really good when you finish. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline woodstick

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 09:43:40 pm »
i cut in a small shelf and sight window today and got her to shooting a little. fast. i will post some pics this weekend.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 03:27:05 pm »
well got her stained with dark brown and me and my daughter got out there with green, red , black, brown, buckskin leather dye and went to work on it. we slung dye all over it. looks well different. got a name for it. the ugly stick. gona put snakes on it 2 moro.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 11:34:54 pm »
got snake on it today and changed the name to fugly. it looks neat but sad. different. will post pics as soon as i get it cleaned up and finished. should be done this week.