Author Topic: Short walnut board bow w/ pics.  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Short walnut board bow w/ pics.
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:42:52 pm »
My nephew's birthday was this past weekend and my wife said "hey could you make him a bow?" so I obliged. (the first time she's encouraged me to spend time in the shop). It is 46.5 in. NTN draws  19#@19in. I built it to do a little more and made sure it would draw to at least 23"@ 26lbs just to be on the safe side. It was aboard from the leftovers of a self bow I'm working on. It was a very big tree. BAcking is cotton laid on with TB3. the wrap is some light cord I had in the shop(I think it's catfishing jug line cord). Just thought it would be fun to post it. Oh yeah, it's my first board bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Mark Anderson

Re: Short walnut board bow w/ pics.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:25:06 pm »
Here's my first tip overlay, I didn't get it posted on the first one. It's Osage and I just used gel type superglue.
Does any one know how to get the pictures rotated the right way?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline islandwoodwerker

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 04:15:55 pm »
nice ;D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:31:58 pm »
looks nice, the boy should like it.
lets just shoot it

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:42:30 am »
Thanks, I think he liked it. I was really surprised at how zippy this thing was. I Think I'll try one about 20 inches longer next time.
Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 01:02:08 am »
Very nice Mark. Your nephew will love it!  You had better warn the neighbors to round up their cats.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Aosda

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 01:07:24 pm »
Nice looking bow.  If you're using windows, when you open pictures and double click, it will open in windows picture veiwer.  Under the image there are two curved arrow symbols for rotating.  Otherwise you can use Paint.  In the "image" tab at the top, use the rotate image option.  Hope this helps.

Offline tombo

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 01:26:42 pm »
I wish my uncle would have made me one of those when I was a kid! Good job.
Tom

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:54:58 pm »
great looking bow, your nephew is going to love it. of the bows i have made this past year 1/4 were kids bows. ive noticed they take less time to tiller and the reaction when the kids get them is way more energetic than an adult  ;D.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 12:24:35 pm »
That looks like a fine whitetail hunter to me. Bookmarked, too!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday