Author Topic: draw length  (Read 5877 times)

Offline woodstick

Re: draw length
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 05:59:44 pm »
i have made a osage bow that is 54" long and pulled 27" draw. working on another one now that is 541/2 long.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Hopefullbowyer

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 06:52:37 am »
o.k I found some old canvas used to make a flag for scouts.  I would like to back the bow with this and have my wife paint some renassiance style markings for my daughters.  my question is what type of glue should i use? I think wood glue would be to brittle. anyone have ideas.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 07:31:19 am »
Wood glue is fine. Use a waterproof one. Congratulations on your bow. Here are some things to remember. There's too much non bending handle area. The bow needs to bend more closer to the fades. That is -it needs to begin bending where the fades end. Also, do I understand that you removed wood from the area that chrysalled. A chrysal is a crack on the belly that goes across the grain so across the belly. That's caused when a bow bends to much on one place in relation tp the rest of the limb. Removing wood from the area just makes it worse. You can fix it by retillering that limb to bend more where it is supposed to. Leave the chrysalled area alone and  remove wood from above and below. Retiller the other limb to match. Hope this helps. Glad you got a bow. That's great. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hopefullbowyer

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 08:10:34 am »
since I had a crack I reshaped both limbs and retillered. The problem I have at the fade is a knot that is about a 1/8 inch from the edge, so iam afraid to remove to much material there.  The reason for the canvas is the pull weight is so low my daughteters can only shoot from about 7 yds out. Hopfully that will bring weight up enough to shoot about 10 to 20 yards.