Author Topic: First Bow!! Osage  (Read 4188 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: First Bow!! Osage
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 08:59:48 pm »
Do you guys think I can fix this bow?  Where would I start taking wood off first?
Tell Riley

Offline woodstick

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 09:10:40 pm »
i would start off by getting more bend in the fades and a little smaler tips on it. like they said you can allways take wood off but its hard to put back on. you will loose some poundage . but it may save you from a broke bow. and on osage you allways need to take all the sap wood off and work the back down to one growth ring it will keep it more gooder. thats my opinion there is alot of good people on here so dont think people is gone make fun of ya. so ask away every ? you got you will get alot of help. we all built a first bow.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 11:13:23 pm »
Congratulations on your bow. It's a very good first effort. The bending can start at the end of the fades. Let it start there and increase as you out towards the tips. You should see that in your ow all the bending is taking place at one spot. Mark a big x in pencil there so you don't remove wood from those spots. Make a pencil line at the end of the fades where you want the bending to start. With our scraper remove wood until the bending starts there but first lower your brace height to about 2 inches from the belly. BTW never pull a bow further than it takes to expose a problem so we are talking really short draws here of 10-15 in. Next start scraping beyond that hinged spot to get a nice even bend. Always exercise the wood at very short pulls for the wood removal to register. There's much more on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 07:58:03 am »
A lot of good advice given to you all ready. Remember that the stress is looking for a weak spot in the limbs. If it finds that weak spot it can cause a hinge. The idea is to blend that stress of a drawn bow throughout the limbs and to balance the limbs with each other. Depending on how you lay the bow out can come into play with the limb balance. I usually lay the handle out where the center of the handle is at the center of the bows length. When layed out this way, I try and have the top limb slightly weaker then the bottom. I judge this easiest at brace where the top limb measures out 1/8" to 1/4" more from the string perpendicular to the belly.

One way to get more working limb is to cut down on your handle and fade lengths. I lay mine out with a 4" handle and 1-1/2" fades...basically 7" on nonbending area in the handle/fades. I usually leave my tips slightly thick for about 4" or so as well.

These are just some of my practices...lots of correct ways to go about making a bow. You can learn a lot from asking questions here, I know I have. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline shamus

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 09:16:19 am »
Agreed. Lots of good advice so far. I'd  leave this one alone and start the next one. Nice splice job, btw.

More thoughts of mine on tiller profiles: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2009/04/tiller-profiles.html

Osage flatbow design:  http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/05/osage-flat-bow-dimensions.html

Hope it helps.  :)