Author Topic: Two fletch "TsaLaGi" (Cherokee) arrows  (Read 16238 times)

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
Re: Two fletch "TsaLaGi" (Cherokee) arrows
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 07:58:47 pm »
If you want to learn to knap there is a knap in at flint ridge in central ohio labor day weekend. I live 10 miles from there and you can pitch a lodge at my place if you like
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 08:47:32 pm »
Wow!
 Thanks for the offer ill have to see what i can work out.
Matt
OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 09:17:37 pm »
Beautiful arrows! They really look great. I do like the goose feathers. I just finished a hickory shaft arrow (second attempt) and used crow wing feathers, two fletch. Looked pretty good but way to much spine for her 37# bow. The crow feathers didn't seem to hold up too well either. I too hope to take my first deer with self made two fletch arrow and stone tip. Good luck to you this fall.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 09:37:56 pm »
make sure you guys get lots of time in shooting those flint heads into a target. there is nothing worse than a bad shot on the perfect deer with no recovery and definite damage done to the animal (which now has an arrow in it you spent several hours making)
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 09:43:28 pm »
John,
I surely agree with you. I won't use my bow unless I feel quite confident with my skill level. I am practicing whenever possible. I am totally new to bows and I need to work at it.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 10:04:51 pm »
you need to work with the arrows you intend to hunt with as well... in my opinion.... the arrow not arrows

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 10:31:36 pm »
oSiyo,
 I agree John . When you shoot primitive arrows each one flys different because there are so many variables between each arrow,unlike carbon or aluminum arrows. I try to find my two best flying arrows and practice with those two arrows the most. I would not take a shot at an awi (deer)with my Tsalagi (Cherokee)bow over 13 yards because thats out of my comfort zone. Before you shoot you have to ask yourself is it worth making a bad shot and that animal suffering for hours or even days because of it...no it most certainly is not.We have to be patient and not rush it, the perfect shot will come but you have to be ready.
 Don't forget to ask the awi (deer)spirit for forgivness for killing it.You dont want to be running around with authritas do you?
 I kid with all my friends who shoot compounds ,i tell them im lethal at 10 yards..lol.
Wado
Madu Unegv Tsula
OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 11:02:13 pm »
Im good with my recurve and sassafras arrows out to about 30-35..... with my cherokee "D" bow 15 yards is about right. Shooting off your nuckle is rough with no nock and a sinew string!

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 07:06:51 am »
Hey John
 I was just wondering do you have Cherokee roots also?
Matt
OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 09:46:58 am »
I am about as pale skinned as they come.....My father was adopted and on my mother's side my grandmother was half white and adopted by the local doctor's family in Seneca, Kansas. She was left on a door step so there is no tribal record to account for my family history.... however there is a reservation of Kickapoos and Potowatomies maybe 10 miles from there. I have many friends with Cherokee  and Seneca blood but not really any that are involved in the old ways.  I'm not Cherokee as far as I know but about every third person you meet claims to be Cherokee.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 01:51:29 pm »
part cherokee, i can make survival type points out of beer bottle bottoms, a big rock, and a big nail.
lets just shoot it

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 12:25:01 pm »
Nice looking arrows.What are the shafts made of ?
The most important part of any point, is that it be very sharp.That's why I like obsidian and dacite. (Most knappable stone can be gotten sharp enough) It should be sharp enough to shave hair.It's not enough to punch holes in a deers lungs,you need to really cut them. (The front part of the lungs preferably) Quartering forward in from behind the near shoulder is a very lethal shot. (especially if the near,front leg is forward) Sharp point and shot placement is everything.
If you do things right and be patient,the shot will be given to you. (Probably not on every hunt, but; it will happen)
  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 06:16:00 pm »
WOW ..... WONDERFUL ARROWS .... Thanks for posting