Author Topic: I spoke too soon!!!  (Read 8586 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: I spoke too soon!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 09:53:44 pm »
That sucks, Pat-I''ve shot that bow and it was a sweet one. Better now than at full draw on a nice buck, though.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 09:59:02 pm »
Pat
That's too bad, that was a nice looking bow.  Hopefully you came away unscathed.
Traverse City, MI

Offline tombo

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 10:03:11 pm »
 Glad you're OK! ...and didn't wake the wifey. Just wood;  make more!  Tom

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 11:15:38 pm »
Nice one!!!!!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I guess it wanted to go out with a big bang. I remember the tiller on that bow looked great too. And backed with rawhide. Hmmmm strange ???
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 11:38:58 pm »
It wasn't the bow's fault. I blame it on the last 1/10th!  ;D  or the nut behind the string! ;D
   Eddie, Dry?  here in the southeast? She's has been hanging where all the bows I'm shooting at the time hang.
   This bow was a sweet shooter. It laid flat when unbraced after shooting and pulled into about 1" of reflex after a while. The first osage I toasted the belly on. It was slinging 650gr cane and tapered ash arrows with authority..but I pulled it too far. :'(  You'd think after 20 years I'd know better.
   I was surprised how it blew. I had an ERC blow like that but never expected that from an osage. Learned something new.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 06:31:56 am »
I hate that Pat but it happens to all of us.I don't mind it to bad when it happens to me ,I hate it worse when I give one to someone and it dose that.I gave one to Joe at the Classic that I had hunted with for 2 years and killed deer and shot a thousand times at least and it broke before he got out of the hollow. :-[Made me feel awful.Glad you wasn't hurt. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 08:29:00 am »
Sorry you loss such a nice bow Pat...but as you know it happens sometimes. Like Hillbilly said, at least you were'nt drawed back on bullwinkle when it went. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 09:24:58 am »
Do people often get injured from stuff like this? I mean I guess I understand that the wood flies back at you, but how bad is it? Just curious as to what to watch out for if one pops on me at draw, other than to wince. I have only had them do that when I have them on the tree.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 11:11:18 am »
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin'! I was getting, "Jawge, you shouldn't say stuff like that. It's bad for the beginners." LOL. Now I got you guys saying that too. Pat, it was just time for the bow to go. I almost never exercise a selfie before shooting. I don't think the deer would wait around while I did. Glad you are ok. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

radius

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 11:19:22 am »
Do people often get injured from stuff like this? I mean I guess I understand that the wood flies back at you, but how bad is it? Just curious as to what to watch out for if one pops on me at draw, other than to wince. I have only had them do that when I have them on the tree.

if it breaks at the handle, you can get a cut.  I've never been hit, but i've had dents in the ceiling where the thing snapped and the top limb flew!

Offline smokeu

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 11:39:00 am »
BUMMER!!
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 11:48:59 am »
This is a good reason to use a tiller tree while tillering a bow, when it is most likely to blow. That way the shrapnel is 6' away when it goes. 
   This bow has been shoot hundreds of times and by quite a few different shooters(I'm always pushing the limits of my bows). With wood bows you never know! Like George said, "it was just time for this bow to go".
Michael, folks do occasionally get hurt when a bow blows. I have heard of folks having to pull limb pieces out of ceilings, etc. It is something to think about but not worry about. You could be run over just crossing the street but it generally doesn't happen. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 11:53:27 am »
I think this falls under the Sh*! Happens category eh
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 12:05:29 pm »
you betcha!!!  ;)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 01:31:23 pm »
Nice!

Here's my scoring:

Number of pieces: 9.2 (very nice considering the wood was osage)
Injury index: 8.6 (high marks for sentimental value...would have been a perfect score if there was material damage or if it left a scar)
Element of surprise: 10.0 (perfect score)

Average score: 9.3

;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr